Had surgery 2/27/12 and I'm STARVING!!!!!

bethp3
on 3/2/12 3:56 am
 I had surgery on monday and started a liquid diet on 2 days before (lost 10 lbs) I have been hungry since tuesday, I thought I wouldn't feel hungry but I really am almost all the time. Since Wednesday (when I came home) I have been able to get in all of my protein, and more than 64oz of water. Why am I so freakin HUNGRY!!!!! Will this ever pass???? 
What did you do while on the liquids?????
Cindy22706
on 3/2/12 4:12 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I was pretty hungry after surgery, but wasnt starving. It might be head hunger. Are you on a PPI? Acid mimics head hunger this early out. I got a PPI and wasnt hungry after that.

bethp3
on 3/2/12 4:13 am
 What is PPI? 
Cindy22706
on 3/2/12 4:20 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
proton pump inhibitor. its what you take when you have heartburn. my surgeon prescribed it to us to stop ulcers after surgery as well. you more than likely need one, most of us do.

bethp3
on 3/2/12 4:25 am
 I now know what PPI is and yes I take them twice a day, since surgery. I haven't had any heartburn or gas pain. Maybe its just head hunger, I have eaten before not being hungry just bored but this doesn't feel like it. But then again I haven't gone this long without food. 
LaughingCow
on 3/2/12 4:13 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I was simultaneously hungry and nauseous. One of my vomitting bouts was triggered by my stomach growling. Someone once commented that it may take a few days for the grehlin to work its way out of your body. That seems to be consistent with my experience b/c I have not had real hunger since the day after my surgery. At least not stomach growling hunger. I have other hunger sensations like feeling "empty-ish". And of course my compulsion to overeat.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
teacher071
on 3/2/12 4:23 am - TX
 I was sleeved a day after you. And also came home on Wednesday. Today is the first day food has appealed to me at all. I was on two weeks Pre op liquids which I think helped me not be hungry now. Sounds like you are going through what I went through the first week of liquids. It will pass I promise. 

One thing that's really helping me now is sf Popsicles. I also love the broth. If you haven't tried those, give it a try.

:) hang in there! We can do this!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.     
HW:331  SW: 319   CW: 262  GW: 170 (or less...we'll see)
bethp3
on 3/2/12 4:27 am
 WOW! you went home fast, I had to almost beg my dr to let me go home. I haven't tried sf popsicles I will try that and see. 

Thank you so much!!!! I'm beginning to worry if I can. 
Lisa J.
on 3/2/12 4:29 am - OK
So how much protein ARE you getting? You're more than likely just suffering from head hunger--which we all deal with and some more than others. If you truly are able to get max calories and protein then by all means get more protein and drink more water. Your body is burning FAT already, and it's more likely the false food signals to your brain--and trust me, it's hard to know the difference. Add in the fact that your brain doesn't realize that you have a healing stomach and really couldn't tolerate real food at this point.

Do you feel faint? Do you feel weak? It's really easy to dehydrate even if you think you're getting enough water. You're actually one of the lucky ones if you can actually consume 64oz plus and liquid protein as well, only 4 days out. Extremely lucky. It's too bad your brain and tummy aren't working together, but make absolutely sure it's not pure brain talking here. Head hunger is a vicious vicious cycle. It's the main reason we're all here ;-)

Chew some sugar free gum, eat ice, jello, popsicles, keep BUSY. You're going to be healing for several weeks, and not fully for at least 6 months. Stick it out another week with the liquids, do whatever you have to do not to push the "hungry" feeling because you're very likely to vomit and feel crappy immediately. But sometimes that's the only way to learn how to deal with this new stomach.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
bethp3
on 3/2/12 4:44 am
Yesterday I had 70 grams of protein and 80 oz of liquids. I sip all day. I have 3 protein drinks a day, I eat sf jello to take my pills usually about 8 oz a day, then I sip, sip, sip. I haven't been sick yet ehich my hubby thinks is crazy because I could cough wrong before and get sick. I get really hot on the inside alot ( everyone says I'm crazy, but thats how it feels) I do get light headed some also. 
I thought it was crazy that I have been able to get all of this in, I have worked really hard to get all of it in everyday.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views