Yep, I broke my back...ugh.

KSqtpie
on 3/3/12 11:20 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Something was wacky with my previous post, so I will try this again. Yep, I broke my back when I fell down the steps last month. I have had 2 rounds of steroid shots for pain and my last one is this coming Monday. It's been 2 weeks since the last shot and the pain is excruciating. I thought I was actually getting better, but I guess that was just the shot doing its job. Now that it is wearing off...well...it sucks. I saw the surgeon last week and found out that not only do I have a herniated disc that is sitting vertical to my spine, I also have 2 fractures in my vertebrae. The only way to fix it is with a rod and screws...yay...um, not. I am being referred to another surgeon who specializes in a certain technique for the surgery I need so I will know more details later.

Anyways, I am bummed that I would be sleeved now if this hadn't happened. But on the bright side, I have lost almost 16 lbs thanks to icky hospital food and just plain ol loss of appetite. I know several of you have written me personal messages....thank you. I will be able to respond in the next several days. My sister has my laptop and I can't respond to messages with my smartphone for some reason. I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you for all the support!!!
Happy966
on 3/3/12 11:25 pm

OMG!  I completely missed the part where your back was actually BROKEN!  Hang in there, sweet pea!  All your enegy needs to go into healing that back - WLS can wait until your better.

(Gentle Hug)

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

KSqtpie
on 3/3/12 11:36 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
I JUST found out about the fractures this week when I went to the spine surgeon. NOBODY at the hospital said anything about fractures, just the herniated disc. I was in shock. I seriously though I would be told I just needed to do some physical therapy and I would be fine. Who knows why nobody mentioned the fractures....pretty irresponsible if you ask me. Thanks for the hugs and support. I'm pretty scared and am kind of a denial of sorts. Now I am spending all my days researching back surgery instead of VSG. WOW...life definitely threw me a curve ball this time. :/
melz1974
on 3/3/12 11:28 pm
VSG on 07/10/12
OMG!!  That sucks!!  I hope the pain subsides and they can get you all fixed up again.  Hopefully the new surgeon has some better ideas.  And during it all, I hope you at least get a hot male nurse.   
KSqtpie
on 3/3/12 11:47 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Hahaha...I am hoping for a hot male nurse too!!! I had one when I went to the ER last month after I fell, but he disappeared once I was admitted into the hospital. Dang. Hot male nurses help keep my mind off the pain! Thanks for your support.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/12 11:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
That's horrific pain! So sorry to read this! Take it easy and heal the best way you can.
KSqtpie
on 3/5/12 5:56 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Yep, pretty horrific pain but thank goodness for vicadin! thanks for the well wishes!
MelissaMommyto5
on 3/3/12 11:51 pm
VSG on 02/16/12
This is a perfect place for a "Dislike" button.  I'm so sorry to hear that it is definately going to require surgery & also that your pain has returned full force.  I'll be praying for your health & for the wisdom & skill of the surgeons who assist you in getting put back together.  (another gentle hug) ~Melissa

KSqtpie
on 3/5/12 5:58 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Yep, this just sucks...there's no other word for it. But I am keeping my spirits up and staying focused on having a healthy recovery so I can hopefully have the sleeve surgery as soon as possible. Thanks for being there for me. hope you are doing well!

**I will message you as soon as my sis brings back my laptop**
southbay311
on 3/3/12 11:59 pm - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
We are here for you and prayers are asking for a less painful process for you to endure. Keep a smile on the face and hang in the best you can. Thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome.
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views