Sick before surgery?????

Lexie 84
on 3/10/12 1:15 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
 Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday...scratchy throat, sneezing and stuffy nose started yesterday :( i know i cant do any nsaid based cold medicine, what should i do? Will they reschedule me if i am sick? The anesthesiologist said call if i get sick leading up to surgery but i dont want to alarm them if its just a head cold. I just need something to knock this out n the next two days!

onemoretry
on 3/10/12 1:17 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Lexie, could it be allergies? The trees are already starting to blossom here. The pollen kicks my butt...
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Lexie 84
on 3/10/12 1:19 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
 Yeah possibly...i dont feel really icky but i just wasnt quite sure...

onemoretry
on 3/10/12 1:23 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Well, I will be praying that that is all it is, and nothing stands in the way of your surgery on Tuesday. Wishing you nothing but the best. Good luck and keep ust posted.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Marabell
on 3/10/12 1:26 am
VSG on 06/07/12
can you take Benadryl?   if not, than try the hot chicken broth....put some vicks under your nose and take a tylenol

I would not get alarmed about it....and unless you get worse, I wouldn't talk to them about it cuz they have to cover their behinds and that may mess you up as far as scheduling goes.....

But you can be the only person to judge....if you really are sick than it is better to re schedule because you don't want your recovery to be at risk due to a weakened immune system and/or an infection.

Take Care woman

jothenurseRN
on 3/10/12 2:51 am, edited 3/10/12 2:52 am - MN
Whether they go ahead with surgery will really depend on How you are feeling the day of the procedure.  If no fever, and they hear that your lungs are clear they will probably proceed. I felt the same way,  last weekend two days before surgery and thought allergies was most likely the culprit. It will be especially important for you to do the deep breathing, turning and coughing post op to prevent pneumonia if your airways are already inflamed, be it from allergies or viral upper respiratory illness. To be on the safe side really push the clear fluids and get plenty of rest the next two days.
And yes you can take antihistamines if you really need them, but would try other home treatments first.

New_me2011
on 3/10/12 4:25 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 According to my pulmonary doctor and surgical nurse the main things are that your lungs are clear and that you are able to take deep breaths after surgery-being able to expand your lungs with deep breaths helps get the anesthesia out of your system after surgery. Can you use a nasal decongestant spray and/or saline nasal rinse? If your symptoms started yesterday theres a good chance they'll be ending by Tuesday. I wish you all the best (my surgeon stated that Tylenol was OK if needed pre-surgery, for pain). Hope this helps, and best of luck !!

Michele            

Most Active