GERD / Reflux / Heartburn Yes or No? - Please share your thoughts!

VintageChick
on 3/15/12 9:14 pm, edited 3/15/12 9:39 pm

What's been your experience with reflux?  Both newly sleeved and matured sleeved... I need some input from post-op's!

As a pre-op, I have some decisions to make and much prefer to get some information from y'all as opposed to simply looking at statistics.  
Kevin H.
on 3/15/12 9:18 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I started with severe acid reflux when I switched to mushie food.  I suffered with it for 2 weeks trying to survive on Tums and over the counter Prilosec.  It helped very little.

At my 1 month post op appt with the surgeon, he put me on prescription Nexium in the AM and he said I could keep taking the Prilosec in the PM.  Got off the Tums.  They are evil.  Tums actually produces more acid.  

Since I've been on the Nexium its been a lot better.

The New Mrs
on 3/15/12 10:46 pm - Mooresville, NC
VSG on 02/09/12
I"m five weeks out and have had no acid reflux at all.  I revised from a bandand had it BAD with the band.
Julie
Lap Band Surgery 12/19/2009, revised to Sleeve 2/9/2012

Next goal:  183
BROOKE H.
on 3/16/12 5:23 am - WI
I took omeprazole pre surgery and the day I went home my Dr told me not to take it anymore. And I havent needed it. No issues with GERD at all

Surgery Date: January 16, 2012
Highest weight: 367 Surgery weight: 360  Current weight:248
Total lost = 119

emelar
on 3/16/12 5:37 am - TX
Just had occassional heartburn pre-op.  Was put on Pepcid AC post-op and stayed on it for 6 months.  If the doc had mentioned earlier to wean myself off of it slowly versus cold turkey, I probably would have been off of it sooner!  No problems since then.
novascotiadawn
on 3/16/12 9:38 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alost 4 year out and still NEED my GERD meds....Never had a issue prior to surgery!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

VintageChick
on 3/16/12 9:47 am
VintageChick
on 3/16/12 9:57 am
Thank you all for posting!  It seems like it's just luck of the draw doesn't it...  especially since sometimes it's not an issue before surgery.

I've read many threads where people have a reflux problem, but of course most don't post about something that isn't a problem.

My surgeon has mentioned a procedure which may prevent or reduce reflux post-op and I'm trying to decide if he's onto something, or just nuts using me as the guinea pig!  I like him (what I know of him) and he's well recommended by good friends of mine who've had excellent results so far, but I also want to make an informed decision.

I guess I'm also assuming that everyone would still go through with the VSG even with severe reflux as a side-effect?
USAF Wife
on 3/16/12 10:38 am
I started getting this gnawing twinge, hunger pang in my stomach after eating around 6 weeks out. No true reflux symptoms, but I knew I was not hungry. Talked to some other vets, and they all told me that "false hunger can be caused by acid overproduction". Talked to my surgeon, went on RX Prilosec 20mg once daily. Close to 10-14 days after starting the Prilosec my hunger resolved 100%, I've never felt hunger since that time and that was over 2.5 years ago.

Actually, I experienced real hunger in my last pregnancy(delivered Tatum 4.5 months ago and I'm 10 weeks pregnant again), and I am sure I'll experience it again later in this current pregnancy. I also had breakthrough reflux in the last pregnancy and I was downright miserable with it.

I was put on Nexium January 2011 for a case of gastritis, and have remained on Nexium since I popped positive on the test last year in February, and I will continue to take Nexium through this pregnancy. I will remain on a PPI for life unless another medical issue arises that requires me to stop taking it. I'll take a PPI daily to avoid hunger and reflux.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views