Very Serious - Poop Question

Father Don
on 3/20/12 11:08 pm - Charleston, SC
Does anyone have issues with excessive gas (pooting)?

And - mosre importantly - when you poop, are there gas bubbles that come out when it's in the water?

I am almost 4 years out.  This occurs regularly.  My wife is RNY and says there's something wrong.

Any one else have gas and bubbles in their poop?

I know we all look at it for color/consistancy (making sure no blood or extremely dark(black/tarry) signalling internal bleeding)...but does anyone else have this?

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/12 11:18 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Don, it sounds like you might be brewing some gut flora imbalance in there!! 

Do you defecate multiple times a day, are your stools well formed or not so much? 

I know folks with IBS and with overgowth of gut funk (candidal yeast even) can have gas bubbles.

Do you take any probiotics?

Has it always been like this, or just started recently?

How do you feel about your mother?  Oh wait. Wrong line of questioning. :}
Father Don
on 3/20/12 11:41 pm - Charleston, SC
LOL

Miss my mom - gone 2 years now.

I go once every 1 to 3 days....it's well formed - sometimes tough to get out (I also take Lasix for fluid) so i CAN get dehydrated....but most times smooth as can be....

I do NOT take probiotics....

Wife wants me to get colonoscopy.....I don't want 40ft of garden hose shoved up my behind.....as a matter of fact - I'm thinking of getting 2 tattoos...left butt check "Exit" , Right cheek "Only"

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 12:30 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I have buttcheek  tattooos!  A W on each cheek so when I bend over it says wow!  Or Mom if I am stanidng on my head.  :}  My mama is still here, and I wonder if she would be proud.  :}

Do you take any acid reducers also?  The lack of the natural acids in our tract sometimes are great places for bacterial overgrowth playgrounds.

Also, for fiber - (for the hard to get out) chia seed is really good, because it bulks up stool but MOSTLY because it also holds onto fluids.  I soak 1/4 cup of chia seed in 1 cup of almond milk (or my favorite 1/3 cup of goat milk and 2/3 of almond/coconut mix) and let it soak for a few hours or overnight and the texture is like tapioca!  (which is exciting, if you like tapioca :} ). 

Probiotics are nothing but good for our guts my friend and "concrete gut with angry anus" (yes, those are medical terms) can be seriously soothed with the likes of the probiotics AND use of chia!!

You can get some at netrition.com - I buy it from our international farmer's market locally.

But, you are a man of an age - and garden hose hide and seek is on the bill of good health checklist, my friend!!

And, honestly?  After having garden hose down my throat while I was still awake and lucid?  I would prefer knocked out garden hose up the bum, any day!   :}  But either way, I would like wine or twilight sedation :} Please.
Mom4Jazz
on 3/20/12 11:39 pm
I have the gassy part, have since immediately post-op. I see folks on here talking about burping, but mine always goes the other way. My poop is different from before, but not bubbly.

Hubby has the gas in the poop, but he has IBS. He does take a probiotic as Brandilynn suggests and it seems to help.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Father Don
on 3/20/12 11:42 pm - Charleston, SC
Are Probiotics prescription or over the counter?

I'd hate to add another Pill to my already extensive diet of pills...but if it helps - I'll try it.

I do not have IBS by the way.....

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 12:24 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

You can get good ones over the counter.  My most favorite are the Primal Defense, but there are others.

Ms. Poker Face
on 3/21/12 12:34 am
I have been REALLY gassy and not pooping much for about the last 7-10 days.  The gas is really smelly, too.  Just this morning I realized that I've been using Stevia as a sweetener for about that same time period.  I discovered Stevia recently and like it so much better than the Splenda I was using in my greek yogurt.  But, I'm going to give it up for a few days to see if the gas and constipation gets better.

I was seriously starting to worry because the gas pills, stool softeners, fiber pills and Miralax haven't really been helping the issue.  But now I'm pretty sure it's the artificial sweetner.  Bummer.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Krazydoglady
on 3/21/12 3:00 am - FL

I am on an iron pill that's combined with a stool softener. My gaseous emissions seem to be more prevalent with it; however, I have had a fair amount of gas since I had my surgery. The more I run, the less gassy I tend to be.  

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

vacationlover
on 3/21/12 10:10 pm
My husband (w/ no WLS) has funky poo issues when he eats certain diet foods.. for instance, some of the "light" potato chips really did a number on his BMs.  I wonder what would happen if you removed anything "light", "sugar free", etc from your diet for a few weeks?

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views