3 months post-op today with NSVs galore

Twizzled D.
on 3/21/12 7:41 am
 I don't know why 1 or 2 months didn't seem that monumental, but 3 seems like a huge deal. No pics here, but it's been nice getting compliments from friends and coworkers. One of my coworkers yesterday commented that I'm "shrinking to nothing" (heh, I've got at least another 100lbs to go, but it felt nice). 

The biggest changes for me have been mental. Yes, there are physical changes. I'm down 55lbs, from pant size 26 to 18 and top size 22/24 to 18/20 (and I could probably pull off a 14/16 if not for the girls). Per my surgeon, I've lost 29% of my excess weight, and his one-year postop average is 62% EWL. He seems to feel I'll meet that with time to spare, and my goal is to prove him right. Mentally, though, I feel like a new person. I don't miss things I used to eat on a regular basis. When I have 'hamburger', it's ground beef with lots of seasoning, some sort of sauce, but no bun. I had one french fry off a friend's plate and couldn't believe how chalky it tasted. I've had sweets here and there - but I find myself passing them up without a second's thought. Best part is, I don't miss them. I was a card-carrying chocoholic, and I no longer feel its pull. I work with elementary-aged kids, and they like to bring cupcakes around on birthdays. I generally still take one (mostly to get them back to class quicker), but I'm not tempted to eat them. If I have a group, I have a plastic knife that I keep stored away to divide the cupcake among the kids (I did have a quarter of one once, was way more than enough), and if I have no group, I leave it for another coworker or drop it off at my dad's house after work. 

I wouldn't say I have more or less energy now, but I know I can do more for longer amounts of time. Walking, stairs, the gym, anything... I'm not afraid of being wiped at the end. It's also been 70+ here the last few days, and our building is a brick oven. I am no longer the 'sweaty fat chick in hot weather,' which is a  nice feeling. 

I think my boy cat is a little perturbed...he used to love to knead my belly. He still does, but now he looks at me and meows while he does. I like to think he's like, "WTF, mama, there's not as much cushion here!" ;)

Here's my big NSV, though. The bariatric program at the hospital is one of the sponsors of a fashion show here next month highlighting healthy lifestyle changes and WL (surgical and non). There's a participant from the Biggest Loser as the keynote (I honestly don't know the name, I don'****ch the show). I thought about submitting my name and testimonial, and finally got up the courage to do it - and was selected as one of the VSG representatives! Age 31 and it'll be my first fashion show... this honestly is the most girly thing I've ever done, and going in front of a lot of people and having a before picture and my story put out there... it's a little daunting. But, it's something I need to do for my self confidence. I told my brother that people are probably going to be like, "wow, that's all she lost in x months, why bother?" and my normally insensitive brother said "anyone who says that is both blind and stupid. You look like a completely different person." It was nice to hear. I've never been very confident, and this is one way to get more confident. 

Another mental victory: Yesterday they were taking make-up pictures of faculty who had missed fall pictures for the yearbook, and another teacher who's done amazingly well with Weigh****chers asked to have her picture retaken. I actually considered asking for mine. It's the first time in my adult life I can remember thinking I *wanted* my picture taken. Who knows, maybe for my 8 month surgiversary, which will be near the start of school, I'll actually wear *gasp* a dress! ;)

Brenda777
on 3/21/12 7:49 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Congrats on all of your success!  Wanting to have your picture taken... is amazing!  I look forward to that day. 

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Twizzled D.
on 3/22/12 10:04 am
 Thank you. It's funny, my best friend has always been a photo magnet... "take my picture!" has been one of her favorite sayings. It feels strange, yet cool, to be the one to be saying it!
Kevin H.
on 3/21/12 8:43 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Great story there!  Congrats on doing so well :)

Twizzled D.
on 3/22/12 10:04 am
 Thanks! It's been a fun journey so far. GL and congrats to you too!
Citykitty
on 3/21/12 8:43 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi Twizzled,

Congrats on your success.  I had my surgery in August of last year.  I'm only down about 45 pounds from that date, but I'm down about 70 from my highest weight. I too have been a little slow on the uptake for pictures, but I recently attended a birthday party with a bunch of folks I used to work with.  They were all commenting on how great I looked with my new hairstyle and all.  I just kept smiling and saying thanks!!  Feels great doesn't it.

Keep up the good work.

Twizzled D.
on 3/22/12 10:06 am
My boy cat looks just like yours! Congrats on your weight loss... 70 lbs is amazing, and I'm glad you got to shine at a party with former coworkers. It definitely helps morale. Good luck to you, too!
BreathingEasy
on 3/21/12 8:47 am - WA
VSG on 01/09/12
Congratulations on your weight loss and all the exciting things going on right now! I totally understand about the cat thing. I have a old orange cat that likes to jump on me and start kneading and now I've noticed he just plops down on me and kneads the pillow. Then I get that same WTF look...lol.
Good Job!!

Starting Weight: 374- Surgery Weight:338   5"4 height
Twizzled D.
on 3/22/12 10:07 am
 Thank you, and way to go to YOU, 80lbs gone! The cat looks are the funniest... I don't mind him kneading now...those first few post-op weeks were another story, though!
LISA C.
on 3/21/12 8:49 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Wow, you are doing great!!!  A fashion show, how awesome is that :)

Congrats!
Most Active