Weight Loss Plateau

MikeyMike
on 3/29/12 8:12 pm - New York, NY
This handout was in my docotors office when I went for my annual checkup. I thought it was interesting so I re typed it. Thought I would share:

Weight Loss Plateau

How a Weight Loss Plateau occurs & how to reduce its effects

A weight loss plateau occurs because the difference between energy intake and energy expenditure gradually balances. The human body must restore energy balance to survive, imagine the consequences if a human kept losing weight because he/she couldn’t find enough food! Our body has physiological mechanisms in place which help maintain energy balance relatively quickly

The Process of a Weight Loss Plateau

When someone begins a new diet and cuts calorie intake it does develop what is needed to lose weight, a negative energy balance, less energy consumed than the body requires. It then needs to start using up energy stores to make up for this calorie deficit. However very often the body has adapted to suit a regular lifestyle and the energy system is unconditioned for any change thus cells continue to use carbohydrates and protein to supply the majority of energy, stored fat is used but this often makes up a small percentage.

Metabolic Rate Decline

As protein and carbohydrates are used from the cells it causes a reduction in the amount of lean mass forcing the metabolism to decrease, this means the individual now requires less energy to maintain the new weight. In other words, the body has gradually adapted to match the new energy intake!

We Burn Less Calories

There is a second effect, as the body becomes progressively lighter less calories are burned during movements so overall energy expenditure also reduces.

The reduction in lean mass and the lowered energy expenditure both help restore a balance of energy from any initial reduction in calorie intake and can even slow progress from the extra exercise sessions often undertaken when attempting to lose weight.

The bottom line is the initial calorie per day reduction no longer continues to be effective for losing further weight as the body no longer recognizes that there is a calorie deficit. There will always be an adaption to match any lower calorie intake simply because the body needs to conserve energy for survival!

CALCULATE TARGET HEART ZONE

To perform aerobics effectively you need to calculate your target heart zone. To do this subtract your age from 220 to find your maximum heart rate, so if a person is 30 years old then:

Maximum heart rate… 220 – 30 = 190 beats per minute

Then multiply your maximum heart rate by 65%

190 x 65% = 123.5 beats per minute

123 beats per minute will be the lower range if the zone. Now work out your range by multiplying your maximum heart rate by 85%

190 x 85% = 161.5 beats per minute

The example reveals a target heart rate of 123 – 161. When exercising the heart rate should be within your own range at all times and to burn more fat you should exercise within the lower range. Exercising at the lower range enables the body to take up enough oxygen so the cells can utilize stored fat. If you workout within the higher range if the zone but you will burn more calories however most will be in the form of carbohydrates and less total fat.

You can check your heart rate while exercising by gently placing your index and middle finger on the inner part of your wrist. Now count how many beats within 15 seconds and times the number by 4. However, I would recommend using an automatic heart rate monitor so you can concentrate more on exercising.

If you are just starting out use 50 – 60 % of your maximum heart rate.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

J_J
on 3/29/12 8:46 pm - Barrie, Canada
Very interesting...thanks for this

jengo1971
on 3/29/12 9:59 pm

Thanks for the article, Mike.  However, MacMadame would be pulling her hair out on the "target heart zone" section.  Read her take on it.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.ca/2011/03/mythbuster-fat-burning-zone.html

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
MikeyMike
on 3/29/12 10:26 pm - New York, NY

Interesting...Can't say that I'm an expert in this stuff...Very far from it. I'm just a trafficker of information

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Pkrplyr777
on 3/29/12 10:21 pm - CT
Very interesting. I know I work out at a higher heart rate than my calculations say I should. Probably because in order to keep it that low I would have to walk real slow for a long time.

I keep tricking my body with food intake instead.

I find that if I pick one or two days out of the week that I eat more/less then I continue to lose weight. If I don't then I plateau.

I think I'm going to back down on the heavy workouts for a week or so and see if that jolts the weight loss again.
It's getting really hard to lose the last few pounds. Ounces a day is all I'm getting now.

Thanks for the info.
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
novascotiadawn
on 3/29/12 11:19 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My higher heart rate workout range is like 132...I don't get anything from this....I need to up it. Maybe by this I am working in a cardio zone. but, my body is shrinking. So, if the muscle is getting bigger and it's melting a bit of fat away. I'm pleased! It will all work out in the end. My belief, one calculation isn't meant for every body! 

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

loverofcats
on 3/29/12 11:22 pm

From everything that I have read, the information on the plateau is accurate, but the best way to gauge your heart rate and energy expenditure, is through the use of a heart rate monitor. Actually, I need to do this, but I am challenged in this area.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

abryan0307
on 3/30/12 12:50 am
Thanks so much for posting this!!!!  I have been on a plateau and was wondering about my heart rate!  You have helped!!!!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views