Anyone over 55 - can you tell me your experience with the sleeve?

Ohiogirl
on 4/5/12 4:08 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'm thinking the sleeve is the way to go - but I'm 60 - is it too late??  
fireman441
on 4/5/12 4:53 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 hello im bruce i am 65 y/o i also am 10 days out  from having  WLS  the sleeve .i feel fine,i ask the samething when i was looking for info ..my doc does up till 70 then he may even do older...

i hate typing so if you e mail me i;ll send you my phone # or  send me yours and ill tell you all about it ..wish you luck   bruce

Marlalondon
on 4/5/12 4:54 am - United Kingdom
I'm 58 and had it done three months ago. I've lost 50 + pounds. I know my skin is going to drag but I don't care. My diabetes is gone and I feel pretty good. My dco recommended to me and told me I'm not too old so I went ahead.
judyk62
on 4/5/12 5:24 am - Santa Rosa, CA
I'm 62 and mine was done 4 1/2 months ago. No complications or problems at all. I was really apprehensive and thought about it for over 3 years; kept saying I could do it myself, but the truth was that I coudn't. I have lost about 60 pounds which feels great, even though I have a ways to go. The only problem I have had is with my knees. One of them had already been diagnosed as being arthritic way before the surgery and now the other one has "given out", so I need to have the knee scoped next week. But the truth is this would have happened anyway and my joints are so much better off, carrying around 60 pounds less. So from my experience, I would highly recommend it.

Judy

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

Birdie55
on 4/5/12 5:40 am
I had my VSG surgery a couple of months before I turned 58.  I'm 17 months out now and life is great.  
I hit goal in 6 or 7 months and have maintained within 4 or 5 pounds.  My recovery was probably slower than some of the younger people, but I also had 2 surgeries within 3 1/2 weeks..which I'm sure didn't help with a quick recovery.  

I would do it all again if I needed to.  Don;t let your age hold you back; it may extend your life by losing your excess weight.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

grisaille
on 4/5/12 5:42 am - NC
Well, I'm 57 and about 6 weeks out. I was due for the DS due to insurance not covering the sleeve (although that was what the surgeon originally recommended) but because at this age I had had a couple of hernia surgeries and my gallbladder removed (with mesh), I had a lot of surgical adhesions and scar tissues so I got the sleeve.

Now with my weight loss, I am off a LOT of medications (especially all diabetes medications), my joints feel better and I am moving down my closet in sizes. So yes, it is certainly worth it at this age. I have some issues with nausea, etc. but I am VERY happy I started down this journey.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
GreenGardener
on 4/5/12 6:39 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 Had it done at 59; it has made all the difference for what remains of my life.  I have lost over a hundred pounds, and dropped from a size 24-26 to a size 10.  I am now 62 and feel 35.  Facelift helped!
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
Nick E.
on 4/5/12 7:26 am - Duluth, GA
 Let me summarize it for you "If not now then When!"
I had my VSG after just turning 60 and my only regret is that I should have done it 10 years earlier. I have gone from 360 to 180lbs in just under two yearsand I feel great. I am off all Diabetes, Blood pressure and other  meds since I left the hospital. I can deal with the saggy skin and wrinkles as a small price to pay. I am now getting ready for  very active Golden Years.

Jacksonsgrandma
on 4/5/12 7:44 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Having a VSG was one of the best choices/decisions of my entire life.  I had it done three months before I turned 58.  It has been the easiest surgery and recovery I've ever had.  Root canals caused me more pain and recovery time than the VSG.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Wi**** were available 40 years ago, but hey!  I did a LOT of research and think I made the right choice. 
Good luck!  Hoping to see you on the weight loss bench soon.

Jeanne T.
on 4/5/12 8:04 am
Hi, I had mine done at 55.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Absolutely no complications and I'm down 88# and I'm not quite 5 months out.  I still have a way to go but I'm sure I will make goal within a year.  I would reccomend you do your research and go for it.  It's one of the best decisions I have ever made.  By the way I don't have a lot of saggy skin and have not lost much hair.  So anything is possible. Good Luck to you.

Blessings,
Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views