Last days with my old stomach

June W.
on 4/8/12 3:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I keep thinking about how it's the last few days before my surgery and the last few days that I will  have my old stomach. Of course, part of me is happy for that because it is this stomach that got me to over 300 lbs.

But another part of me is really aware of how my eating will have to change when I no longer have this big stomach of mine. I'm on my liquid diet and it is hard to stay straight when it is so my typical behavior to binge and use this big stomach as much as I can before I can't anymore.

I don't want to do it and yet I do. I worry about not shrinking my liver enough and that is keeping me on my liquid diet. I don't want to screw this up because I'm craving a big meal. I had my last meal. It was great, right before my liquid diet. I don't need another one. I can do this.

Shellbell73
on 4/8/12 3:16 am - MO
VSG on 04/09/12
I totally feel you! I get sleeved tomorrow.  I had quite to food funeral procession but I still think of stuff I missed.  Plus for the last week I've had these dreams where I've caught myself absent mindly eating something while on my 2 week pre-op and then freaking out that I've totally messed up my diet and they cancel my surgery.  Can't wait til the surgery is don't so I can quit stressing that I will do something wrong.   Good luck to you!

PaulaS
on 4/8/12 3:31 am - TX
After VSG surgery, eventually, you can eat anything you want.   That does not mean you should or will, but you can. 

For me, I don't think of this surgery as the end of anything, eating included, but the beginning of a new life!  

I am a year out and physically could eat anything I want.   Some do eat anything and everything and do fine.   I have lost all interest in the old way I ate.   While I used to LOVE a hot donut, and for a while really wanted one, now they smell horribly greasy.   And fatty foods, no interest.

This has never been the case when I was on whichever diet prior to WLS.   Then I always craved the "forbidden" foods.   And, I quickly regained all of the weight I had lost, plus some!

Now that foods are not "forbidden", many of the "not-so-good-for-you foods" are of little to no interest to me. 

I have not cut out everything, though, and thus don't feel deprived.   For instance, I do put local honey on my yogurt, especially now that I am in "maintenance".   I even eat the 2% Fage rather than the 0% Fage.   (Discovered that when my grocery quit carrying the 0% for a while.)  Even with that, I am still losing slowly.  

You are right, your eating will have to change post VSG, but with your "tool", it will be a natural change rather than a "deprived" change.     At least it was for me!

Good luck!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
rarejem
on 4/8/12 4:55 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12
Like Shellbell73 my surgery is tomorrow.  Yes, it is difficult to not miss foods once you begin your pre-op diet. I too have occassionally wished for some of my old favorites. My pre-op diet was 30 days with 30 grams of carbs max.!  I did have a bit of a food funeral, but was careful because my doctor had also set a weight goal I needed to meet for my pre-op appointment.

I guess from where I sit today, I'm glad I stuck with it. Today is Easter a day of rebirth. Tomorrow will be my day of rebirth to a healthier and more active life.

Stick with it and good luck! You can do this!

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

Shagdoll
on 4/8/12 5:45 am
Of course you can do this! We are here to support you so keep us updated on your progress!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views