Has anyone had a stricture?

4evercaligrl
on 4/19/12 3:49 am
 I am 3 weeks out and still cant drink my protein shakes very well.  They are going down but I have to take a spoonfull at a time and it feels like its always stuck in my throat.  Still getting foamies too.  I am scared I have a stricture.  Has this happened to anyone?  What do they do to fix it? 

emelar
on 4/19/12 3:55 am - TX
Strictures do happen.  To fix them, the doc puts a scope down your throat and breaks up the scar tissue.  Sometimes it has to be done more than once.  Everyone whose had it done has almost instant relief. And they knock you out for the procedure, so it's pretty painless.

You might have a stricture.  You might also just have a really swollen tummy that's taking it's time to go back down to normal.  Only your doc will know for sure!
Mom4Jazz
on 4/19/12 4:35 am
Strictures are uncomfortable when they're happening to you and you can't swallow things, but are one of the less scary complications in terms of resolving them. A scope (sometimes a couple to get it completely resolved) and you are comfortable again.

Talk to your doc as soon as possible.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

4evercaligrl
on 4/19/12 4:43 am
 Thanks so much.  I spoke to the doc today and they are going to do a UGI this afternoon.  

grisaille
on 4/19/12 5:06 am - NC
good luck with your UGI - mine is tomorrow for the same issue and I am really, really hoping for relief.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
xxluvmybabiesxx
on 4/19/12 5:15 am
VSG on 03/14/12

Thanks for your post, i am about 5wks out and i am still having some issues swallowing; but did not know what it was i am going to call my doctor now to ask, because i did mentiont to him last week that i was having trouble swallowing but he said i might jus be still swollen, Dang i am 5wks, i hope i am not still swollen. Good luck to you
onemoretry
on 4/19/12 9:03 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
I'm having a scope tomorrow for the same reason. I'm almost hoping that it is a stricture so that we can fix it and move on. This feeling is so uncomfortable.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

New_me2011
on 4/19/12 10:54 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 Best of luck on your procedure tomorrow. I know what you mean- you don't want a problem but want to get a diagnosis, get it fixed, and get on with the journey. Here's hoping that tomorrow brings answers and relief and continued success!

Michele            

4evercaligrl
on 4/19/12 4:14 pm
 Thanks everyone.  I had the test done and it looks like something is stopping fluids from going down right so my surgeon wants to do an endoscopy and possible stent placement.  The problem is that I'm flying across the country on sat night for a huge exam on Tuesday and to cancel will cost me $400 and possibly my future.  Needless to say, it's a tough decision.  I think I may need to put my health on hold and deal with it when I come back. After all, I've been on liquids only for 3 weeks, what's another few days? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 411 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views