Could long-term GERD preclude the VSG?

Kabooboo
on 4/19/12 11:08 am
Everything has been submitted for insurance approval.  My next step will be to meet with the surgeon. My biggest concern is that I have had GERD for years (maybe 8-10?) which is pretty well controlled by a PPI, which I have taken every day for all of those years. A couple of times I have had to change PPI because over time it seemed to become less effective. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I know that VSG may cause/worsen GERD. Could that preclude me from being a good candidate for the VSG?  Let me know your thoughts/experiences please. Thanks!

Kevin H.
on 4/19/12 11:42 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 My surgeon told me just yesterday when I was talking with him about my severe acid problems post op and he mentioned that if a patient has GERD prior to surgery they usually just go right for the bypass and dont do a VSG.

INgirl
on 4/19/12 12:09 pm
You will want to get scoped, to make sure you have had no changes to your esophagus.. If it's from a hiatal hernia, great- that can be fixed.. That said, I have been on a PPI for over 10yrs, 10mg generic Prilosec.. No issues with getting sleeved, and I am still on the same dose now. I may try to wean off to see if I can go without now that I'm smaller (no hernia).. but chances are I probably can't as I have noted when I forget my PPI, I can feel it. Not a biggie. 

Yes, the sleeve can make GERD worse, some may get GERD after the sleeve, when they didn't have it before, and others note that it resolves their GERD.. the only definite contraindication is severe uncontrollable/hard to control GERD or GERD with esophageal changes (Barrett's)... then it's generally RNY.

Kabooboo
on 4/19/12 8:56 pm
Thanks for the information. I know that there won't be any guarantees, but I want to have an idea of how other people with GERD have done. I wouldn't get the RNY, so the VSG will have to work for me.

Dee08
on 4/20/12 12:14 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
I had GERD years before my VSG.  Nexium twice a day during that time.  Since my VSG, I am still taking the Nexium and doing fine.  I talked to my gastrointernist from the beginning and he had no problem with me getting the VSG.  He has taken care of me since my surgery and there have been no issues. 

Each person is different so you should talk with your doctor and go with his counsel.  Good luck on your journey!

Blessings.....Dee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views