Thin Crust Pizza

honeyrider11
on 4/22/12 2:21 am, edited 4/22/12 2:30 am - Fairfax, VA
VSG on 03/06/12 with
Are we allowed to  have foods like this? 
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 2:25 am, edited 4/22/12 2:26 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Pizza has a very large amount of carbs in it.  Just 1 slice of Red Barron Pizza (depending on which one exactly) has more carbs then we are supposed to eat in an entire day!

You can eat what you want for the most part with a sleeve, but it doesn't mean its good to or we should.  Many people wont loose weight if they eat more then 40g carbs a day.

Your choice.

honeyrider11
on 4/22/12 2:31 am - Fairfax, VA
VSG on 03/06/12 with
 I wasnt told how many carbs we are suppose to have in a day (or at least I don't remember) so thank for the heads up.
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 3:20 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Your welcome!  The thing with carbs is that it gets turned into sugar when its metabolized by the body.  Our body will burn sugar before fat .. so we have to watch how many carbs we eat or your metabolism will burn all sugar and no fat during the day.

INgirl
on 4/22/12 2:34 am
Allowed, possibly yes- I have seen some wonky plans saying eat anything your stomach tolerates.. potatoes, toast.. Is it smart, especially so early out, or during the weight loss phase? No. I have not yet had pizza, and won't till I get to my goals.. and after that, it will be a very rare indulgence like any junky food should be. Bite for bite, it is not really that great of a food nutritionally speaking, and we have very limited space for what really counts. I personally still have to eat protein (meat) first at every meal to make my protein goals, there's no room for crap-foods.. I  had to approach this as a total lifestyle overhaul, going back to that type of eating is setting myself up for certain failure as capacity and tolerance increases, as does hunger. Your mileage may vary, but that is not something I'd be willing to test. This is not a diet.. this is a life-long deal, work with it- not against it.
moonglo82
on 4/22/12 2:35 am
VSG on 03/29/12
There are people who are going to disagree with me on this one, but my take on this is a little more liberal.

I don't recommend eating pizza of any kind on a regular basis, because as Khess mentioned it is very carby (unless you make a low carb version... and there are some great recipes out there if you want to try them) and it also tends to be through the roof in fat and sodium content. Again, making your own can help with this.

Having said that, I also know that there will probably be a few times, even during the weight loss phase, when I eat a slice of good ol' carby, fatty pizza. Not saying I will do this once a week, or even once a month, especailly in the beginning when pretty much all I will have room for is protein (I say "will have" because I haven't started solids yet, so in my mind I am still preparing for all of this). Is one slice of pizza on a rare occasion going to derail me? No. However, I know I will have to be careful to make sure that the rare occasion does not become a more common one.

Hope that helps.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

honeyrider11
on 4/22/12 2:48 am - Fairfax, VA
VSG on 03/06/12 with
 Thank you Moonglo, that makes a lot of sense and you didn't sound preachy, I apareciate that. I was just curious, about whether or not something like that was allowed, I read somewhere that one could. 
seekingslimness
on 4/22/12 2:52 am
VSG on 02/24/12
I had part of a piece of pepperoni lovers thin crust from pizza hut, I couldn't eat the whole piece.  For me a little bit of what I used to eat is not so restricting as not eating it again.  I know some people say no, no don't eat it, but that doesn't work for me at this step yet.  I do better with more of a gradual transisition.  Plus that's all I had of it, part of one piece, it's nice to eat what everyone else is eating on occasion and I don't do it very often, in fact that is the only pizza I have had since surgery.  You have to find what works for you and what you can tolerate. 
   NIKKI

gabriellaz
on 4/22/12 3:11 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
I read a few posts, where people make their own low carb pizza on a tortilla, I don't remember how, hopefully someone can repost, lol, it sounded pretty yummy and easy to make.

RyanJS
on 4/22/12 3:17 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
We talked about this in our support group last week. I personally will not have pizza for a long time because once I "cheat" I do not want to allow myself to continue cheating.

If you really want pizza make your own healthy version. One lady mentioned an awesome way to make pizza.

Get 1 raw chicken breast pound it out so it is pretty thin. Put your sauce , cheese "reduced fat", toppings "turkey pepperoni" on it and then throw it into the oven. The chicken will crisp up and take place of the carby crust and you will still get in your protein.

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views