cornbread and broth?

sgidden
on 4/22/12 7:45 am - Newnan, GA
RNY on 08/09/16
I made my husband a pot of vegetable soup and a pan of cornbread for supper tonight. 

Just curious, when I start my SOFT stage, could I mash up cornbread in the soup broth and be ok?

ruggie
on 4/22/12 7:55 am - Sacramento, CA
My vote:  really wouldn't recommend this.  You don't want to get in the habits of eating any breads, and you're just spiking that broth with carbs.  Pass, pass, pass.

More tough love, dear.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/22/12 7:56 am
That sounds like it could swell in your stomach and cause a lot of pain!  I would avoid it.  Plus, no protein and lots of carbs in cornbread.  I would suggest instead focusing on protein foods in the soft stage.  Canned chicken is really soft and makes nice chicken salad.  Same with canned tuna, cottage cheese, baked fish.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

sgidden
on 4/22/12 7:58 am - Newnan, GA
RNY on 08/09/16
that's kinda what I thought.  will stay away from the cornbread and try to remember that it ends with the word bread.

thanks again for the tough love.
slimpickins5280
on 4/22/12 8:04 am - CO
What does your diet plan say? I'd go by whatever your doctor's plan says.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

hollykim
on 4/22/12 8:04 am, edited 4/21/12 8:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Maybe you would be ok and maybe you wouldn't. Everyone is different. For some of us,it would stop our weight loss,because cornbread turns into simple sugar in our blood stream and as long as our bodies have simple sugar for ready energy ,they won't break down our stored fat for energy so we don't lose weight.

For some of us,eating carbs/simple sugars starts us craving again. the more we eat of carbs the more we want to eat. it is a vicious cycle and a very slippery slope.

For some of us,carbs/simple sugar are slider foods,meaning we can eat WAAAAAY more of them than we can dense proteins cause they turn to mush as soon as they hit your mouth where digestion starts so the restriction of your sleeve doesn't kick in and you can eat more and more and more...

In all kindness,I guess the real question is if you want to lose the most weight the quickest you can or if you want to eat cornbread...only you can decide.

Good luck

BETHC500
on 4/22/12 10:30 am
bread is not reccommended... esp. so early out...

califsleevin
on 4/22/12 11:29 am - CA
As others have noted, you are adding carbs to your soup. This may or may not be a problem depending upon whether or not you have problems with carbs (some people find some carbs to be triggers to overdoing carbs - eat a piece of bread, scarf a box of twinkies...) or have such restrictions in your specified diet. I didn't have such restrictions, so for me and others, carbs are just another class of macronutrients to be exploited as appropriate.

I did play around with french onion soup during my short time with soups and had no problems with it - with the bread well soaked by the broth, there is little expansion left to be done in your stomach. The other issue here is whether you have room in your diet at the moment for something so low on protein - I was getting a good protein intake at that time, so had some room to play around with non-protein rich foods (doc was adding veg to my diet at day 10). After that early experiment with the french onion soup, I didn't do much with bread for 3-4 months until I needed to add some complex carb for exercise endurance purposes.

In short, you probably can do the cornbread, but do you have the room for it in your diet, or any of the sensitivities that some have, or the formal dietary restrictions that would preclude its use at this time?

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

AnnMarie
on 4/22/12 11:32 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Oh. MY. GOODNESS.

Damn, as good as that sounds and as much as I'd love to eat anything at this point, we're both gonna have to BACK AWAY FROM THE CORNBREAD, MA'AM.

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

sgidden
on 4/22/12 10:57 pm - Newnan, GA
RNY on 08/09/16
AnnMarie,  You are a hoot!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views