Dr Alan Saber, Univ Hosp, Cleveland, anyone??

Ohiogirl
on 4/24/12 6:49 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
  Going with the Sleeve after having band failure, sticking to northeast OHio/Pittsburgh area docs - going to be self-pay.

Price is $5000 -$7000 less at Univ Hospital in Cleveland than Cleveland Clinic or St Vincent Charity or Summa Health in Akron.  Of course I want one of the best surgeons -anyone have experience - good or bad with Dr Saber or anyone else at the other hospitals mentioned?

I don't know anyone personally who has had WLS - so I depend upon this board for most of my information.

Please help if you can.

Paula
comeundone
on 4/24/12 7:44 am, edited 4/23/12 7:52 pm - OH
I had him. He has a support group and information meetings. I do not attend the meetings so I can't speak on them.His nurse Karen is Great but the nurses on the floor at Case aren't I would suggest The Geauga Hospital to have the surgery. Office visit take awhile in the waiting room they are always behind.
HW 289  SW 242

Ohiogirl
on 4/24/12 8:11 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Were you satisfied with Dr Saber's surgerical skills - did you have any complications?  Dr Saber only does surgery at Case - other surgeon does both hospitals and the price they quoted me was $1600 higher at Geauga.

Any particular reason you picked Dr Saber versus Cleveland Clinic or St Vincent?  
comeundone
on 4/24/12 12:02 pm, edited 4/24/12 12:29 am - OH
Well I have all my medical charts with University so it was easier. I went to Dr. Kataan for the informational meeting,she favors bypass (she does the sleeve as well) When I met Dr Saber I was scared and wanted a lap band he said the sleeve was the best choice because of my meds. so I came here and researched it.I have a friend who went to Cleveland Clinic and her doctor was Schauer she like CC as well.So my advice is to go attend the free information sessions and see which doctor you like. You might want to contact VegasLAbound she is his patient as well.
HW 289  SW 242

Ohiogirl
on 4/24/12 12:39 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Thank you so much for your help.  I checked Cleveland Clinic - price there is $26,000 versus $18,000 for Univ. Hospital for self pay so that is quite a difference if the surgeons' skills are comparable.  I'm thinking I can handle some grumpy nurses for a night or two for that kind of difference in price.  How long did you stay in the hospital?  And I'll remember to schedule mid week if possible - I've heard most hospitals are bad on the weekends.  I'm also interested in St Vincent's and Dr Ben Meir - they are quoting me $23,000 but I have not been able to compare what is included in each program's charges.  Would be so much easier if I had insurance that covered WLS - I do have insurance that may cover some of the pre testing - that is what is difficult to figure out with the self pay  - what is included and what can be charged to insurance.

Thank you again.
comeundone
on 4/25/12 5:09 pm, edited 4/26/12 5:26 am - OH
I stayed 3 days, 2 nights I was scheduled first so I was there by 6am most people leave after one night but I was not drinking because I felt sick but had no problem walking and only felt pain when my nurse did not bring my anti-nausea meds so I dry heaved too much. I also recommend having someone pick up you meds before you leave the hospital. I had problems finding a Walgreens that had the liquid meds.(I tried Cvs too) I had to go about 20 miles to get it and it took about a hour for them to find a store for me to go to ( I did not check to see if Case had a pharmacy though) I also checked into a hotel for two days after so I would not have to do stairs and to stop myself from doing too much around my house.
I forgot to mention you might want to ask about this:
http://www.mdnews.com/news/2011_07/05737_julaug2011_single-incision-laparoscopic
HW 289  SW 242

comeundone
on 4/25/12 5:16 pm - OH
 Their are a few people on this board who had Aviv Ben-Meir dittodotv had her surgery the same day I did you might want to write her she would be 5 months out. I know there are more but can't rember their names.
HW 289  SW 242

comeundone
on 4/24/12 12:08 pm, edited 4/24/12 12:09 am - OH
His skills were fine I was nauseous after but I even got sick giving birth so it did not surprise me.I did not like most of the nurses I had but was scheduled on a Friday (If you get a choice do not choose a weekend or holiday) If you have any question you may message me
HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views