How much FAT?

June W.
on 5/1/12 5:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I know that we are supposed to count our protein intake and many also count carbs, but how many grams of fat do you have per day? I'm around 80 protein and 40 carbs, but my fats are at 30 and it seems high to me. What do you think?

furiosmommy
on 5/1/12 5:24 am - Phoenix, AZ
  I don't count my fats, but just wanted to say hi! I had my VSG with Dr. Fang a year and a half ago. 

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

June W.
on 5/1/12 5:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I'm just getting started and you're almost done! Congratulations.

furiosmommy
on 5/1/12 5:35 am - Phoenix, AZ
   You're doing great! I still have a ways to go. Had a little bit of a set back at 5 months post op getting pregnant with twins, but I'm working on getting back on track now that they're here. It's hard though, the further out you are the harder it is. But one day I'll see my magic number on the scale! If you just stick to your basics you'll do great. I always just worry about my carb and protein intake, I feel that those are the most important along with water. Good luck!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

slimpickins5280
on 5/1/12 5:28 am - CO
I don't count fats.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Mom4Jazz
on 5/1/12 5:35 am, edited 5/1/12 5:36 am
I kept my calories under 800 and didn't worry about the fat. With that calorie ceiling (I was usually well under) there's a limit to how much fat you can get.

That said, avoid trans fats. They'll be on the label.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 5:46 am
I count protein, carbs and CALORIES. I have a limit of 700-800 calories per day. If I meet my protein goal and keep calories in check I don't need to worry about the fat #. My fat calories are never more than 30% of my total intake for the day- usually even less.

favrow812
on 5/1/12 6:37 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
I too only count protein, carbs, and calories. On days I dont work out I set my calorie goal to 800 and the days I do work out my NUT wants me getting in around 1000 calories. With those low levels of calorie intake your fat content can't get too high.

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

califsleevin
on 5/1/12 7:49 am, edited 4/30/12 7:51 pm - CA
During the loss period, we are on a defacto low carb and low fat diet with our protien requitements and any sensible caloric limit, so if you limit the fat and carbs to the "non-junk" category, it's pretty hard to go wrong. While everything was counted or logged, I only worried about protein, calories, hytdration and a few select nutrients.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

INgirl
on 5/1/12 7:59 am
Ditto everyone above, I never counted it.. heck, just started using MFP (why did I not do this sooner??)

I just did cals/carbs/protein.. I use full fats, but now that I've been bumping my protein up past 70g towards 90+, I have had to shave some fats in lieu of protein cals.. But, no matter- fat is tasty, healthy (save for trans-fats..) and makes you feel satisfied, so.. I do not restrict it anymore past what my calorie requirements dictate.. now, WHEN I get to my uber-ultimate goal (whatever that is??) and get to add in some more foods, the first things added will be more healthy carbs, with more healthy fats! Fat is not evil, neither are complex carbs for most.. just depends on your make-up and what your body prefers.. mine prefers protein and fat as it's main energy sources.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views