Questions, surgery date scheduled

hollymarie1122
on 5/7/12 8:48 am - WA
so I met with my surgeon today, we set my surgery for the 29th of this month. I went to his office really educated on the surgery I THOUGHT I was going to have and on the "back up" surgery just in case. I didn't do much research on the sleeve, but listening to him (he took over an hour talking to me today) we decided to do the sleeve. I am really excited about the change in my body and my life but I would like to hear from some people that have had this surgery, what is life AFTER surgery like. 

Is it true you aren't dependant on the supplements and you can eat more normally that the other surgeries? I am not trying to cheat or take the easy way out, as soon as I can move around I will be, I have a pretty bad back. what is teh recovery time? what about eating? do you still have to stick to the 1-2 ounces of liquid for the first few weeks? sorry for all the questions I just love the real life answers 
  Holly  
Pre-Op
"True strength is going on when everyone around you would understand if you just gave up" 

AmberK
on 5/7/12 10:00 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Hello, I am two months out. For the first three weeks, I was on total liquids. Anything that could go through a strainer. They do this because that staple line needs time to heal before putting anything solid in it. If you do, you risk busting open the staple line. 

From week 3 to 6 I was on soft foods....beans, eggs, cheese, baked potato (maybe once because of carbs), chili, thin sliced deli ham

After week 6, you are on a regular diet. I have never had ANY trouble with foods that I have had so far. I even had some salad this weekend and I was fine. Some people do get a stuck feeling, the foamies, and some have thrown up from drinking to much to fast or eating too much too fast. 

When I eat I get a satisfied feeling and make myself stop. That has been hard because I want to eat until stuffed. For example, today for lunch, I had a lean HB patty, I ate a little more than half was done because I knew that's all I needed. I still get hunger and still crave the crap although it's easier now. 

If you have more questions, please ask! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

hollymarie1122
on 5/7/12 12:43 pm - WA
 my biggest question is do you notice the restrictive difference in your eating? I really need to loose the weight and i know I need to make better choices but I am worried that the sleeve wont be enough.... 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 230 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 305 views