Snoring during sleep study -- and it wasn't me!

nanarama
on 5/12/12 4:28 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
So one more thing on my second part of sleep study on Thursday night.  I was one of two patients there and the other patient was female and a good distance away.  My tech, who was a very nice younger man, was telling me how he uses a full face mask for his sleep apnea.  I opted for the nose only part, which was nice and quiet.

Well, I just didn't sleep well due to having any type of appliance on my face.  But I was very very distracted most of the night by the very LOUD snoring of the technician in the other room.  And, yes, I am 99% percent sure it was him.  I didn't have the nerve to say anything in the AM because I did think he was nice.  But I did notice on my way out that there was a hospital-room type reclining chair in their area with a pillow on it.  So I am really certain that it was him.

Should they be sleeping during this?  Aren't they supposed to be monitoring what we're doing??
comeundone
on 5/12/12 6:55 am - OH
I know with my sleep studies there was patients on both sides of the lab and could hear the other person because the tech was listening to the others snoring on his machine but I knew it was not him because when he heard/saw me move he would ask if I was comfortable, but also the results are read by a doctor to decide if you have sleep apnea
HW 289  SW 242

happyteacher
on 5/12/12 11:12 am
I spent over 10 years working in a sleep lab, and you are highly likely correct.  I am not sure what type of equipment they use where you were, but back in the day the machines made a ton of noise whenever the patient moved, thus alerting the tech to take notice.  Once computers replaced the old polygraphs, there are still devices that can alert the tech.  For example, if a tech is monitoring to adjust the pressure for a cpap titration then the oximeter can be set to go off if there is a drop in oxygyn levels.  Techs sleeping on the job also result in botched studies- anytime I read that somebody had to go back for a second study because "they didn't sleep enough" I always suspect tech issues.  Now if you are back a second night to get a cpap then that is a totally different story.   If this guy titrated your cpap you need to ask a lot of specific questions on your follow up with the doc.   

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

nanarama
on 5/12/12 7:07 pm - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
Don't want to beat a dead horse -- just want to say thanks for the replies.  And rereading my post made me realize it sounded much more serious than I really intended.  haha

Yes, it did all happen the way I said, but I really meant it in a lighter tone as in -- seriously?  You're sleeping while I'm trying to???????  And BTW, since you told me you had bad sleep apnea, how about putting on a CPAP before your nap so you don't wake me up!!  Grrrrr ....

Anyway, I really do feel certain it was him, especially since I sat up in bed reading my Nook for a good 45-60 mins before he came in to check on me.  On the first part of my study, the tech was in within 10 mins.

I do intend to mention to the doc at the results appt.

Okay, I promise I'm seriously done with this topic!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views