Does every sleever get reflux? Forever?

Ohiogirl
on 5/12/12 2:23 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 It really worries me too.  I hope yours lessens soon.
stephintexas
on 5/12/12 3:25 pm

I had a cough for years that was soooo annoying. I thought I had lung cancer from smoking so long. I had all sorts of treatments for asthma, COPD, etc. Turned out i had a hiatal hernia and needed that repaired. My surgeon did that during the sleeve surgery. I have had zero reflux since.  don't take anything.

smbergie200
on 5/12/12 10:31 pm - Naples, FL
That statistic is plain wrong. I never had reflux from my VSG surgery. Silly Doctor.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Phatchick
on 5/12/12 10:57 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
My GERD is gone pretty much since the surgery. If I eat something really hot I get heartburn, but it goes away with chewable papaya enzymes that I get at GNC. Best, Sharon

justeric78
on 5/12/12 11:09 pm - Houston, TX
I fight with reflux everyday and you know I am happy to deal with it..I had about worst case scenario, leak and nothing by mouth for two months afterward. Would you rather be obese or deal with some crappy side effects. If i knew in advance I would deal with all that I have with the results I have gotten. I would personally hand the knife to the surgeon myself. 400 lbs < 190 with reflux, stomach discomfort, and occasional throwing up. Anyday and twice on Sunday, ask yourself if youd rather deal with these minor side effects or be whatever size you are for the rest of your life. The answer was easy for me, if it is not for you then perhaps it is not the right move for you as all of this is a possibility and no amount of asking everyone else what happened to them will change what may or may not happen to you.

O.kay
on 5/12/12 11:15 pm - DFW, TX
I had occasional bouts of reflux prior to surgery, but it is much worse at this point. It is not a problem as long as I take my daily PPI. I was on a PPI automatically for the first 3 months after surgery, then tried to switch to OTC heartburn remedies (Zantac, Malox) and there was no way. I am back on a PPI and I am 5 months out. I understand that the reflux may still go away at some point, or it may always be there. Like others have said, I'd still do this surgery a 100 times over and view this as a small price to pay - as long as I can take my PPI!
LennyD
on 5/12/12 11:56 pm - NJ
Funny you should bring up this topic.  I've had terrible reflux since surgery, about 4 1/2 months ago.  Been taking Prevacid daily & that really seems to do the trick.  I decided to try to wean myself off & today is the first day that I didn't take the pill.  Well, we will see. 

pic-nic
on 5/13/12 2:31 am - Canada
I had terrible and frequent (daily) heartburn before surgery.  Since surgery I have once or twice experienced some mild discomfor.  Usually at bedtime, esp if I have eaten or drank something too recently.  I have not had to take any meds for this since surgery, but took zantac quite regular pre-op.

gonetothedogzz
on 5/13/12 2:45 am - OH
The only thing that works for my acid reflux is organic apple cider vinegar two teaspoons twice a day with water! Tastes like crap but it works.
Pooch2
on 5/13/12 3:33 am
Had a mild case pre op, so far post op, no sign of it............
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views