Anyone do seated weights to start?

royaltys_journey
on 5/20/12 8:06 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
I am wondering if anyone did strength training in the seated position when they were a few weeks post-op with weights that were less than 5 lbs? I understand not exercising beyond walking for the first 6 weeks or so but I am wondering if it might be ok to do some low impact weights to help start toning my arms and shoulders? This might be too ambitous, just wondering what others experience was. If anyone did this, can they recommend a good dvd? I was looking at dvds targeted to seniors but they seem really limited and all over the place with their reviews. Thanks for any info!
Marabell
on 5/20/12 8:18 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I just had my pre-op on Friday, and I specifically asked this exact question of my exercise physiologist. He said not to do that because you may not realize how much you are engaging your core...and it is too soon. He will reevaluate at 1st post-op visit.

Pkrplyr777
on 5/20/12 9:08 am - CT
Its too soon. sorry.

You gotta lot of healing to do. Just concentrate on healing.
The exersize will come.

cheers
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Boppie2012
on 5/20/12 10:24 am - Dunedin, FL
I have lifted light weights and I also had a hernia repair at the same time. I've gone to the gym a few times and done the elliptical or the treadmill which just leaves me feeling like I'm wrung out. I've since just stuck with the light weights and very slow walking. My daughter, she's a nurse, reminds me that just because I had laparoscopic surgery it was still major surgery and I should take it easy. I was raking leaves yesterday in the Florida sun and lasted all of ten minutes. Take it slow.
royaltys_journey
on 5/21/12 1:03 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
Thanks everyone! I'll just be a patient patient.
Most Active