2 week pre-op diet

janiey
on 5/28/12 2:59 pm, edited 5/28/12 3:08 pm - Bland, MO
 Getting  nervous/excited  . Start liquid diet in the morning . 2 weeks till VSG. Need some encouragement. Thanks

Jackie819
on 5/28/12 8:33 pm - IL
Good luck!  I have a surgery date of July 2.  I'll be right behind you.  I'm nervous about the pre-op diet also.  Stay focused on the big picture.  A small sacrifice for a HUGE payoff.  Hopefully the days will fly by for you.  Best wishes and we will be praying for a smooth transition for you. 
RNmom0926
on 5/28/12 8:50 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
The days have flew. Been on the pre op diet for two weeks and I can honestly tell you it has "grew" on me. Key it to find a shake you like. I started out with the Bariatric fusion and there was one I simply could not get down.. Money wasted but I know now never to by it again.
Sinlaila
on 5/28/12 8:53 pm - WA
VSG on 06/12/12
 My surgery is 2 weeks from today and I know exactly how you feel!
newme_38
on 5/28/12 9:57 pm - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
I am also scheduled for 2 weeks from today.  I'm not required to do a liquid diet.  However, I am starting today by subsituting some meals with Protein shakes.  Getting my breakfast shake in as I type. 

Something I created.  I didn't know what I was doing but it doesn't taste bad.

lowfat vanilla yogurt
fresh strawberries
banana
GNC Whey Unflavored protein
Ice
CallieBear
on 5/28/12 11:13 pm - Greer, SC
VSG on 06/13/12
 My husband and I have been on our pre op diet since May 12th.  Our doctor requires 4 weeks but since Optifast requires weekly visits to weight and also requires diet and nutrition classes, we had to start on the 12th in order to get 4 classes in before our surgeries on June 13th.  
I have to use Optifast 800 5 shakes a day and 1 small meal of 600 calories or less.  
I like the chocolate ready to drink and have had no problem getting them down and actually enjoy them.  One word of advice, if your shakes do not have fiber, ADD IT!
I found liquafiber was the best and since I had major issues the second week of very little fiber I will not drink a shake without the fiber again.  

Good luck on your surgery!  I am excitous..  excited that this is really a reality but a tad nervous too!  the liquid pre-op diet is just one of those steps I am taking to better health.  I figure the first few weeks after will be much harder than the weeks before since you have to get your protein or you lose your hair!   :)

if your doctor does not require a specific kind, I like the EAS AdvantEDGE carb control shakes as they have 17g of protein and if you drink it fast..  it isnt so bad LOL.

Becky Calliebear is my cat :)    Surgery date 6/13/2012 
Highest 349.  Pre-op diet 339.5.  Current 308  Pre surg weight requirement 322. (by 6/5/12)
janiey
on 5/29/12 2:35 am - Bland, MO
 Good luck to you also! I might try your recipe, sounds good thanks.
donmarie
on 5/29/12 12:28 am - Canada
VSG on 06/11/12
 I'm on day 3 of my ore-op diet and surprisingly it hasnt been too bad. Looking forward to surgery day on June 11th. Best of luck to you :)

Michelle10929
on 5/29/12 2:32 am - NC
I started this morning too...  not too bad. Considering the Dr lets me have veggies/pudding ect. But.. I did discover that my stash of free protein powder is HORRID! So I will be ditching that stuff and buying the unjury asap. This rep at work brings in the myoplex stuff all the time and I've been hording it all just waiting for surgery time. Mistake! haha.
janiey
on 5/29/12 3:45 am - Bland, MO
Thanks Michelle!  Tried muscle milk first. Not too bad going to try advantage next.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 8 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views