Had surgery 3/20/12-diagnosed w/thyroid disease

kim032012
on 6/6/12 11:17 pm
VSG on 03/20/12
Hi!  My name is Kim and I had the gastric sleeve done 3/20/12 and have lost approx. 50 lbs.  Pretty pleased with my progress.  But discovered post op I have an underlying thyroid condition, preliminary diagnosis of Hashimoto thyroiditis.  Had a scan yesterday and should find out in a couple days if this diagnosis is correct.  Was wondering if there is anyone else out there with this kind of problem?  Would love to hear from others with the same condition.

Kim

Thininmymind
on 6/7/12 1:00 am
 I have Hashimitos hypothyroidism. I was dxd right before my sleeve surgery. It's really not a big deal once you find the right dose of meds for you. Just a little pill everyday. And wow do you feel like a different person.  Good luck with sorting things out.

Gastric Sleeve July 2011 Steven Simper - BL January 2013 Brian Brzowski - LBL March 2013 Brian Brzowski

Stayce
on 6/7/12 1:42 am
VSG on 03/28/12
 I have Hoshimotos and once you get regulated on your thyroid medicine you'll be good to go. I've had the scan and an ultrasound and an aspiration, it it all confirmed my diagnosis. I've been regulated for awhile now and after I was sleeved my thyroid medicine had to be halved because my numbers changed, now I am on a much lower dose. 
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
ordinarybeauty
on 6/7/12 2:45 am
VSG on 09/27/12
I was diagnosed with Hashimotos 10 years ago. The doctors were unable to manage it with medication and advised thyroid irradiation (killing of parts of the thyroid with targeted radioactive iodine) which I had done 8 years ago. Unfortunately, I continue to have unstable thyroid function (tending to swings in under functioning) and require medication ajustment every 3 months or so. It is really frustrating. My metabolism is essentially unstable. I go to the supposed best endocrinologist in my region and yet I continue to have symptoms of hypothyroidism, even with medication.

Before this disease, I didn't have problems with my weight. Now I do. My metabolism varies from slow to really slow and I have to manage my food and exercise accordingly. That is hard for me because I never quite know what my metabolic rate is from day to day or week to week. I've had my RMR tested (resting metabolic rate) several times and it swings sometimes by as much as 700 calories!

My wish for you is that your disease process is easier (which it is for most).

kim032012
on 6/7/12 3:17 am, edited 6/7/12 3:18 am
VSG on 03/20/12
Thanks everyone for your responses! It's so nice to know you're not alone, and there are others who understand what you're going through.

Kim

Scandrona
on 6/7/12 5:15 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
I have Hashimotos   was diagnosed about a year ago and have surgery scheduled for 7-30-12.  Its not that awful, just have to take your meds every morning.  Just make sure to ask your doctor to screen you for other auto-immune diseases if you do have this one.  Just as a precaution.

Anyway, congratulations on all your progess!!  Super happy for you!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Most Active