High anxiety

Lynnegetsbrave
on 6/15/12 6:22 pm
Well it has been awhile since I posted.  Truthfully I have come and read things but I am so filled with anxiety that finally I am going to share.  There is nothing any of you can do to help me, but sometimes just venting can help.  In January of this year I was able to get insurance for the first time in six years under the ADA or perhaps what some of you know as Obama care.  This is not a handout...I pay several hundred dollars a month for this insurance but I am grateful for the opportunity to have health insurance and weight loss surgery is covered under the plan.

Well maybe some of you know that the Republicans have taken the ADA before the Supreme Court and are trying to have it over-turned and with that my ability to obtain insurance will be gone.  If it is over-turned I lose my insurance that day.  I sit and wait day after day for the word to come. As you may know the Supreme court is making many judgements now on a 5-4 margain on the side of Republicans.

I am so upset.  I am not asking for a handout just a place where I can buy insurance that covers pre-existing illnesses.  The doctors and hospitals in this country are by a great majority in favor of the ACA, but becuase people who choose not to get insurance would have to pay a fine of less than 100.00 per year on their income taxes, the Republicans have taken it to the Supreme Court.  The only folks who are against this bill are the big insurance companies.  I might add they are enjoying the largest profits ever in the past few years.  One of the things they are bitterly against is not so much the pre-existing clause but rather the fact the ADA forces them  to use at least 80% of people's premiums towards paying health care costs as opposed to big bonuses.  Did you know that until this law...insurance were spending less than 60% in many cases on actual health care costs. One major insurance company has come out now, United Healthcare, and said they will keep many of the provisions even if the law is overturned because they can see it is good for their company, with the exception of the pre-existing clause which no one wants to do because they only want to insure healthy people.

There are many people in my same position.  I have a Master's degree, loved my jobs and would love to return to my career.  At this time my disability make it impossible.  Weight loss surgery  MAYBE will hlep my lymphadema, might help me take off enough weight that I could move my lower body easier with my upper body strength and give me the opportunity to be more independent.  I fee like such a burden tomy 21 year old son.

Thanks for listening to me and if you dont mind please say a prayer that the Supreme Court won't deny me the opportunity to purchase health insurance.
MeeMiss75
on 6/15/12 9:01 pm - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
I will definitely pray for you and your cir****tance. Take care and keep us posted on how things progress with you.
Boppie2012
on 6/15/12 9:11 pm - Dunedin, FL
I will pray for you and God bless you.
PalpableThrill
on 6/15/12 10:15 pm, edited 6/15/12 10:17 pm - TX
While you have my sympathy to some extent I have to disagree with some of what you said.

"The doctors and hospitals in this country are by a great majority in favor of the ACA, but becuase people who choose not to get insurance would have to pay a fine of less than 100.00 per year on their income taxes, the Republicans have taken it to the Supreme Court. The only folks who are against this bill are the big insurance companies. "

I'm a nurse and have been for 37 years.  The doctors and the hospitals that I have worked at since this disaster called Obama Care was inacted are terrified that it will not be struck down.  Medical care as we know it will come to an end if the insane law is upheld. 

The "fine" you mention is not something less than 100 per year.  Any monies associated with the irs are not fines, they are TAXES.

Why do you think all the Canadians on this board are flying to Mexico for this surgery.  I'll tell you, they have socialized medicine, exactly what Obama care is, and they are on waiting list that are up to 10 years long just to have this surgery.   Why do women in England die from breast cancer,  I'll tell you, they have socialized medicine and have to wait for years to see a doctor to have the surgery.

Please before you post research your facts.  This garbage known as Obama Care is not good for this country and ADA stands for Americans with Disabilities Act and was around LONG before this idiot was elected.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990[  (ADA) is a law that was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1990. It was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H. W. Bush, and later amended with changes effective January 1, 2009.

That being a fact you should thank the Republicans that you are so against that the ADA even exists.

I pray to God daily that the Justices are intelligent enough to see that this law is unconstitutional and over turn the entire law.
Lynnegetsbrave
on 6/16/12 1:10 pm
 I am not going to get into a political arguement on this board...but I too have worked in the healthcare industry for 30 years.  I have read the bill, the whole 1100 pages.  I have researched it and researched it and statistics do show that the "majority"...I did not say all do support this bill.  In fact, United Health Insurance came out in favor of this bill on Wednesday of last week stating they will continue to implement the majority of the features even if it is overturned.  Your facts obviously differ from mine...but I would challenge you to read the bill....and yes if you choose not to buy insurance you will pay into a fund that will be used to pay bills for those who utilize our hospitals and facilities if they don't have insurance.  I want to have insurance.  And I stand by my facts....but I won't respond to you again...because this not the place for a political discussion.
bbearsmama
on 6/15/12 11:24 pm
RNY on 02/28/13
 Amen! I do not understand why there is such a fight over this! 

Sending prayers your way!

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

bbearsmama
on 6/15/12 11:34 pm, edited 6/15/12 11:36 pm
RNY on 02/28/13
 I would be interested to hear how the Canadians on our board feel about their healthcare system. I know there are  flaws and yes-waiting 10 years for wls is ridiculous-but would they really prefer OUR healthcare system over theirs? Ours seems to be more of a haves/have nots kind of system. I am a public school teacher and it would cost me $900 per month to put my family on my health plan. What teacher can afford that? If a teacher can't afford that then you know that the custodians, bus drivers, and teaching assistants can't afford it. I am not wanting a handout-I think something along the lines of $500 per month would be reasonable to pay for a family if it is a plan that actually covers something (other than a high deductible plan).

Our system is in need of a major overhaul IMO.

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Lynnegetsbrave
on 6/16/12 1:15 pm
You make such a great point...when I worked for a major hospital system in Dallas-Ft. Worth the administration recognized the very fact you address...that for people worked the minimum wage jobs...they were going to the ER for treatment and taxing the system.  They then develped a two tiered payment plan for insurance.  Our hospital system was self-insured.  In the first year alone...they saved millions of dollars because the percentage of people able to afford health care went up so dramatically.  Very few people who paid the higher price on the first tier complained because it benefited all of us so much.  The money saved went towards improvements in our hospitals and was used for more staff and better raises.  It was a win-win.  Not only did we have less non-payment but we also had a healthier staff that resulted in less sick days etc. 
BethR311
on 6/15/12 11:45 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
All health insurance is moving to high deductible plans. You pay for everything, at negotiated discount rates, unless you have a major event and meet your deductible, generally $3-5 thousand.

If you still have insurance with a copay you should be on your knees thanking God.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Karebare50
on 6/15/12 11:46 pm - Troy, NY
Ok I thought this was a support forum, not a political one.  How about we keep the politics out of theses (you are all entitled to your own opinions and views) and send some thoughts and support to this person who desperately needs assistance?  Best of luck to you.  I sincerely hope you get what you need.
Karebare50 Dance Like Nobody's Watching!

HW pre-surgery: 248  SW: 236

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views