coincidence?

goingforit1
on 6/17/12 1:31 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
So I am 4 1/2 months post op and I noticed last month that all of a sudden I am getting a few gray hairs.  I am still in my 30's! I never had *one* before the surgery but now I am finding several.  I know anesthesia and hormonal changes and rapid weight loss can cause hair loss ( and I'm getting that now too) but turning a few hairs SILVER?  Is the timing a weird coincidence or has anyone else had this happen?  Time to start coloring my hair I guess!!! :(

Also, if my hair loss started at the 4 month mark (and labs are all perfect so it's just one of those things) will it probably stop by the 6 month post op mark?  It is sort of startling to me how much I am losing, though nobody else has noticed yet.  How long does the "shedding" usually last? I was hoping since I was a lighter weight and not losing all that fast that I could avoid it but no cigar, I guess.  I just want to know how long it usually lasts.

Thanks everyone!
USAF Wife
on 6/17/12 1:34 pm
Yep, totally normal for greys to pop in. My once bouncy, wavy almost curly pre-op hair is stick straight now, and my natural color is lighter than it was pre-op.

As for the shedding, it lasts anywhere between 2-6 months for the averages.

Nothing will stop it, even biotin doesn't guarantee regrowth. Just keep up with your vitamins to include iron and zinc, healthy fats be it from food or Omega3 supplement(which I got from ground flax seed added to my food), and push fluids to get rid of the toxins.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

TonjaTLC
on 6/17/12 1:49 pm - Southlake, TX
The hairdresser in my just can't not respond.  How is the grey in your family?  Is it a coincidence?  I was 17 when I found my first.  I am not saying that I have the medical background but I have gone through losing 100 pds twice prior to surgery and when I did it in a quick way I lost hair but didn't change the color or texture.  The only people I know that have had texture changes are those who go through chemo, you know, completely lose their hair.    Maybe try this, massage your scalp daily as this promotes great blood flow and to aid in the hair regrowth.
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
moonglo82
on 6/17/12 1:50 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Interesting... I didn't realize that greys are typical postop. My husband and I are both 29, and he is 18 months out and has tons of greys. I'm almost three months out and so far have two or three... I have plucked them once, and they have started coming back in grey again. Now I can't get to them to pull them out again because they are too short for me to grip. Guess I'll be getting my hair colored more regularly if it keeps up.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

goingforit1
on 6/18/12 11:57 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
my family history is that the ladies are OLD before getting grey hair so this is totally out of the blue.

Glad to hear (sorry, though! LOL) that others have gone through the same thing. I just couldn't believe it was a coincidence! ha ha It's a bummer but color can hide the grey...whereas nothing could hide my fat. Great trade even still!

thanks for the replies!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views