holding onto plus size clothing,,,,

AMoody
on 6/21/12 12:38 pm - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Ok, I think I have a mental thing going on here..I cant seem to get rid of/let go of my cloths that are too big for me..I started this journey in a size 22/24 and now 4 1/2 months later can fit into some 14's and all 16's..but I have bags abd totes full of all the cloths that I have worn,,my husband thinks its because I think this too will fail..who knows..anyone else do this?

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

bluerskies
on 6/21/12 1:00 pm, edited 6/21/12 1:01 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
 I am obviously not at that point yet, but I have struggled with this to some degree with past weight loss.  I was afraid of regaining the weight and being stuck with nothing (I had always regained my weight in the past and the self-defeating attitude and desire to hold on 'just in case', I believe, aided in sabatoging myself and the ultimate regain).  I have a plan for my clothes when I no longer fit into them now and have already purged some of the winter items in anticipation of my weight loss and as a symbolic step of faith and commitment to this journey.  I don't know how I will feel when I actually reach the point when I can actually give my clothes away.  I am *hoping* that I won't have the same struggle, but I am trying to shift my ways of thinking and want to do everything I possiibly can to grow, heal and leave the weight and the struggles that go with it behind.  

I was talking with my uncle today and he was sharing about how one of the larger obstacles for my aunt in her process was getting rid of her bigger clothes.  He didnt go into the specifics, but it was a really big struggle for her.

Congratulations on your loss thus far and all the best to you as you continue the journey!
 Jessica

blueeyedgal
on 6/21/12 1:44 pm - AL
VSG on 02/03/12
I have the same thing going on.  I have anything from a size 18-20 through a 32 which I was in before surgery in my closet.  Just in case.  My mind is made up to be successful this time and I am finely starting to send clothes out of the house!  It is so freeing!!!

blueeyedgal    
goingforit1
on 6/21/12 1:55 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Nope, not me. I USED to do that before the sleeve but NOW? As soon as something is a size too big it is GONE. OUTTA HERE, never to return. I take it to the consignment shop, to goodwill, or give to a friend. I never want to see them again.

Ok, I have to admit there have been a handful of items I've kept but only because I could take them in to fit my new body! If I can't alter it I say goodbye!
moonglo82
on 6/21/12 2:00 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I have struggled with this in the past, but now is different. I see how well my husband has done (200 pounds in 18 months), and I see how my progress has gone so far, and I'm determined to keep up that momentum. And that means taking on a new attitude about leaving those sizes behind forever.

The fat girl in me still has a hard time letting go of the old clothes, but I've gotten to the point where I make my husband get rid of the clothes that no longer fit me... he's not as sentimental as I am lol!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

jubjub
on 6/21/12 2:03 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 "Both respected and frightened by their foes, ancient Viking warriors established a well-deserved reputation for their unrivaled bravery and steadfast commitment to victory. Their overwhelming success on the battlefield could be attributed more to how the commanders motivated the warriors than training or how they executed their tactics.   The Vikings were master motivators who understood how to use a “dramatic demonstration" to infuse a spirit of dedication into the heart of every warrior. Once they disembarked onto enemy shores, the commanders would shout out their first order: “Burn the boats!" The sight of burning boats was intended to eliminate any notion of retreat from the warriors’ hearts and any thoughts of surrender from their heads. Imagine how this tremendous act psychologically impacted the soldiers’ will.  As they watched torches set their vessels on fire, turning them into ash, the men quickly understood that there was no turning back—and the only way home was through victory."

Burn the boats! I mean clothes (or give them away) 

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

momsy55
on 6/21/12 9:09 pm - ME
I love this analogy!!!  I made a decision, early on, to get rid of my big clothes and take a leap of faith that I would never need clothes in those sizes again.  My side of the closet and my dresser drawers are now pretty empty.  There are a few stray items hanging around - mostly T-shirts that I now wear to bed as nightshirts.  Next to go are all of the bras that have gotten too big and are still hanging on the clothes horse in the laundry room!  LOL

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

RHCP
on 6/21/12 10:46 pm - Poughkeepsie, NY
JUB JUB  THIS IS GREAT!!! I love this!!

I gave away all my old clothes the moment they didn't fit!  It helped me realize there was NO GOING BACK to those sizes ever again! AND  no matter how cute or great something was there are defiantly MUCH BETTER NEW THINGS I have bought to replace them- and a much better feeling fitting into smaller sizes!

jubjub
on 6/22/12 12:31 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I have my pile of 44x30 pants (20 or so) going to the thrift store on Saturday - Surgery is Monday.  No going back, no prisoners!  I have lost 36lbs pre-surgery so I'm already at a 42, so it's a little easier to let go.  While there I'll look for a few 40s for transition - Just "borrowing" them from the store for a month or two :)

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

SFChorus
on 6/21/12 2:37 pm - CA
 I've donated most of it to goodwill, but there are some pieces I can't seem to part with.  I think I'd be very nervous about burning ALL the boats :-). For now, I think I'll leave one or two intact.

Sleeved 12/15/11, 5'1", HW 185, SW 164, CW102

Most Active