Questions....So many questions

getmylifeback12
on 7/1/12 7:29 pm - NY
So, I am 51/2 months out and doing really, really good. For the most part (with the exception of maybe 2-3 times) I have followed plan to a T. I am taking this surgery very seriously and I think its paying off. I dont know how to do the ticker thing, but I have lost 80+ pounds.  I have a few questions.
1: How long do you log everything? I still do. I keep telling myself Im going to try to go a day or two without logging but I always feel better when I do.

2: When do you stop feeling horrible when you do eat a little off plan? I went out to dinner last night with my husband for the SECOND time only since my surgery on January 18th. I ate a very small amount of pasta...for the FIRST time, and just three chicken wings and the guilt and shame were so horrible that I barely slept last night and I cried. I felt so out of control.

3: Another mistake I made last night was I pushed my sleeve until I was uncomfortably full. A very bad habit I used to have. This was the first time. I always "under eat" my sleeve. My question is...did I stretch my sleeve? I am so worried. This will not happen again...at least not for a long time. When I think about it I did not eat a huge volume of food...just more than I am used to. I usually eat around the recommended 600-800 calories. I estimate that I ate probably 1000 yesterday. But, most of it was at the one meal. UGH! I tried to eat a few nuts before I went out so that I wouldnt be so hungry but I ate anyway. So the dinner did not go as planned, food wise.

4: I had my first beer (well half) last night as well. Talk about guilt! It wasnt even that good. Could this be why I felt so full? Did this stretch my sleeve? The carbonation? I dont know why I did it. Hot summer day maybe?  Just another mistake that wont happen again for a long time.

5: The last question is: What can I do differently next time? My husband likes to go out to dinner. He has been soooo supportive through out this whole journey and he never gives me a hard time because I will never go out to dinner with him. I would like to go once in a while, but I feel like after last night I never want to go again! I made every mistake there is to make! Pasta, beer, eating till Im too full!  Feels like Im back to square one! 

I feel like I got it all "out of my system" for a while. But was it all worth it? HELL NO. I feel so much better mentally and physically when I stay on plan. I just hope I did not do any damage.
Mom4Jazz
on 7/1/12 8:31 pm
Good morning!

1. I am heading into month 16, have been at goal for 6 months and am still logging everything. I probably will for the forseeable future. I use the myfitnesspal site and app on my iPhone, so it's quick and easy. I plan to keep it up simply to make sure I don't unthinkingly slide back into bad habits.

2. Counseling (I had it) and planning. First, if you plan it, know what the calories are and decide to do it anyway that's a conscious choice. I don't recommend pasta, but that's just because it's one of my super-duper trigger foods. It might not be for you. Second, we didn't end up needing this surgery because we have a healthy relationship with food. Many of us find that some counseling to help us deal with our food issues is useful.

By the way, that's where #1 (logging) comes in handy for me. I plan to have a "whatever" night tonight because it's my wedding anniversary. I will log it, adjust the next day or two and move on. Logging lets me know that I haven't gotten out of control just because I chose to go off plan for a night.

3. No, you didn't stretch your sleeve in one night. It sounds like you had a minor "off plan" adventure and know you can't do it often. Depending on how much fundus you have left (varies by the surgeon) repeated overeating can stretch your sleeve somewhat, but one night with that much food won't do it. I do avoid eating to full. Perhaps next time set aside and appropriate amount and put the rest in a box before you eat?

4. Nope. Lot of empty calories and it probably wasn't the best choice (no drinking with meals) but one bad evening is not going to derail you for life.

5. Pretty simple suggestions:

Make good eating choices. I'm not saying never have a taste of pasta again, but if you're going to eat out regularly you need to avoid getting into the habit. Look for meats. In the losing phase I would look for salads with grilled chicken on them and eat the grilled chicken. Or shrimp skewers - sometimes my husband would get a steak that got a shrimp skewer add on and I'd just have the shrimp. Grilled fish of some kind. There's almost always something somewhere on the menu.

Don't drink (even water) while eating. I find servers freak out if you don't get a drink, so I just ge****er and set it aside when the food comes.

Keep logging. Many on-line logging apps have restaurant food in them. Log it even if it was off plan, not to punish yourself, but to teach yourself which choices are best.

No-one, no-one, no-one gets through this without any experiences like this. It sounds like you have more to deal with about the food guilt than about this one-time foray off plan.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views