Its great to be back!!! Would love some tips...

Tia M.
on 7/3/12 1:17 pm - Killeen, TX
hey everyone!
Is anyone else having an issue with cooked meats? I have had issues with meats before. (Ground meats, shredded meats, baked meats etc.) I dont want to load my meats up with tons of mayo and the like. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what have you done to combat this problem that has worked for you.
I had to do a 2 month follow up as opposed to a 3 month follow up because I was PCSing. I told the doctor and he said to try soy based foods... Any suggestions for that too?

thanks a bunch

TinkerToyz
on 7/3/12 1:25 pm
My suggestion would be to try cooking your meats in a crock pot or pressure cooker to keep them very moist and tender without needing additional sauce,gravy or mayo to get them down.
loverofcats
on 7/3/12 1:32 pm, edited 7/3/12 1:34 am
Salsa was always good for moistening meat and helping it to go down better. Later on, during maintenance, I use some avocado. Broths are also helpful for moistening meats, as well as the previous cooking suggestions for helping to keep meat moist.

Also, NF plain Greek Yogurt can be mixed with various protein sources and will help to increase the moisture content, as well as boost the protein value of the meal.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

EliseG
on 7/3/12 1:48 pm - MA
I second the slow cooker idea, let me know if you are interested in any recipes. I do a good majority of my cooking this way.

Tia M.
on 7/3/12 1:58 pm - Killeen, TX
I would love some crock pot recipies. that would be awesome. thanks. I had thought about using the crock pot, but with the issues I have been having with meats, I was scared, not to mention, I have been unsure of what I can cook.

EliseG
on 7/3/12 2:06 pm - MA
Sure
When using the crock pot, I always make sure whatever meat I'm making it completely submerged in some type of liquid. You could do something as easy as chicken breasts cooked in plain chicken broth, and then add some seasonings to it. I also use salsa on top of chicken in the slow cooker as the other poster suggested.
Here's a recent favorite of mine that I wrote to another poster:
First I spray the slow cooker with cooking spray, then put in about 2 lbs boneless, skinless, fat trimmed chicken breasts. Cover them with some Frank's red hot buffalo (you could use other brands, I've just found this to be the best nutritionally), several Tbs at least, to taste. I then add several splashes of Tabasco, some garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and black pepper. Cover all of that with no salt added no sugar added tomato sauce, until the chicken is completely covered but there isn't too much excess. Cover and cook on low 7 hours, or until chicken is cooked through. When it's done, just shred the chicken with a couple forks right in the slow cooker.
I also make a turkey "pizza" in the slow cooker. I basically spray a pan with cooking spray and cook 1lb lean ground turkey breast with chopping onions, peppers, and garlic. Once it's cooked through I stick it in the slow cooker with 6oz tomato paste, 8oz water, a bunch of oregano, as well as garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to taste. Mix it well and cook on low for 1 to 1.5 hours. When it's done I'll top a portion with some low fat mozz and stick it under the broiler. YUM!
Hope this helps

Tia M.
on 7/3/12 2:11 pm - Killeen, TX
I just slobbered on my keyboard.  

EliseG
on 7/3/12 2:30 pm - MA
I hope you enjoy!

suitebliss
on 7/3/12 3:23 pm - Southfield, MI
VSG on 03/01/12
 Here's a link to some crockpot recipes I found.  I'm working on my culinary skills, LOL!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/9116-add-your-favorite-crock-pot-recipe.html

HW: 350 SW: 332 CW: 198 GW:  167
Pre-Op Loss: -7lbs M1: -23lbs (299) M2: -20 (279) M3: -8 (271) M4: -8 (263) M5: -13 (250) M6: -10 (240) M7: -7 (233) M8: -8 (225) M9: 10 (215) M11: (215) M12: 7 (208) M13:1 (207)M 14(205) M15 (203) M16 (201)

1st short term goal: 290 (done 4/16 @ 288). 2nd short term goal: 275 (done 5/20) 3rd short term goal: 250 (Aug 1) 4th short term goal: 220 (11/30) 5th short term goal 199 (wonderland) (November 2013) NEXT GOAL:  190lbs

CajunCuz
on 7/3/12 2:59 pm - VA
Hi Tia,
I use to live in Coppers Cove on the west side of Ft. Hood, many years ago.I'm a pre-sleever.  (i'll get sleeved on the 10th of July at the Naval Medical Center at Portsmouth.)  One website that I go to a lot is "theworldaccordingtoeggface".  One of her crockpot recipes was a pot roast recipe,  it was delicious.

Shelly's Crock Pot Pot Roast

3-4 pounds of boneless chuck roast
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 package of Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
1/4 cup of white wine (Don't leave this out)
1 whole onion sliced

Optional, add during the last hour of cooking:
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of frozen carrots
1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
Place roast in a pan and brown both sides, about 5 minutes eachside.Placed the browned roast into the crockpot and add a can of undiluted cream of chicken soup over the top of the roast.  Spread the soup around just the top.  Empty the package of the dry onion soup over the cream of chicken soup.  Do not mix it.  Drizzle the 1/4 cup of white winedown the side of the crock pot.  Place the sliced onion on the top.  Close the lid and cook on low for 7 hours.  May be served with a side dish of sauteed spinach or cabbage.  Enjoy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views