Cooking for one

Ashley G.
on 7/4/12 7:21 am - SC
I am seven weeks post-op and I live by myself.  I am having a hard enough time trying to figure out what to make for myself, plus I am having a hard time making it just for one.

I am buying healthy food, but I am having to throw a lot of it out as it goes bad and this is getting expensive!  I have done a search on how to cook for one but all the blogs recommend I eat a lot of carbs and we all know I can't do that.  

I know there are others out there in my position.  Any suggestions or helpful tips you can give me?

2much2do
on 7/4/12 7:23 am
 go to the worldaccordingtoeggface.com she had wls and is always posting great ideas
Ashley G.
on 7/4/12 7:25 am - SC
I knew there was something I forgot to mention!  I have her website bookmarked, and I love it.  I'm just looking for some more ideas.  Thank you!

kimbethin
on 7/4/12 7:45 am - CA
I live alone too, and I think in some ways it makes it easier to stay on plan.  I cook my favorites ahead of time and freezer them in serving size portions using vacuum freezer bags.  I have grilled chicken, slow cooked BBQ pork, meatballs in red sauce, and turkey meatloaf in my freezer at any given time.  I usually take something out of the freezer each evening and thaw it in the fridge to heat up the next day for dinner.  I like the variety, but even better, I can make dinner in just a few minutes every night after work.  Frozen veggies are easy sides.  I hope this helps! 
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Jaybee766
on 7/4/12 8:42 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
It also depends on your tastes.  I find that the small pork chops (boneless center cut) are about 4 oz each (I do end to leave an ounce on the plate) and work for a quick after work meal - with frozen veggies.  Also ground turkey - I'll grab 3 oz and cook that up and use different sauces for different nights.  A pound of ground turkey is a weeks meals but it does get boring after day 3 I must admit. 

My main concern by the time I get home from work is to get my final protein in and drink whatever water is left for the day.  I don't get excited about what I'm eating until the weekend and then it's not as exciting as it used to be. 

It's very interesting......I hadn't really thought about it but I know I've read others say it.  It's true--  I used to LOVE to eat and now I HAVE to eat. 
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

Anne D.
on 7/4/12 9:25 am
I am a single parent and usually cook for myself. I make enough for a few meals when I cook something. I freeze lots of things too. I also keep smaller portions of meat frozen if I just want to cook a small amount. Sometimes I get lazy and just eat tuna or cottage cheese. As for carbs I eat veggies and fruit, that's it, no grains, occasionally sweet potato. When cooking for one, the freezer is your friend!

emdesq
on 7/4/12 11:21 am
I also cook for just myself, and have found that Wal-Mart has a four pound bag of tilapia filets that are individually packaged into approximately 4 oz. servings.  They shrink up quite a bit when cooked, and the make a perfect serving.  Or I will buy a fresh steak from the market, then cut it into three or four small pieces and barbecue a small piece every night for a few nights in a row.

I occasionally make a large recipe then re-heat small portions later, but I don't really enjoy re-heated foods much. 

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
Ashley G.
on 7/4/12 11:41 am - SC
Thanks everyone for the ideas.  Looks like I need to make the freezer my new best friend.  

I am still getting past my head hunger, so maybe things will start to get easier as time goes on.  

Thanks again!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views