No support

Izabelle G.
on 7/17/12 2:12 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
So my mother is not supportive at all. She even said she was completely against it. I said I am going to do it anyways.

I try to let her know the information about the process but she evades and changes the subject.

Well imagine my surprise on Sunday when she said "did you hear about the girl who had weight loss surgery?" I said "no which girl?"  "Some girl was on the news she had a bypass and died of stomach cancer." So I say, "I am not having a bypass." She says "whatever, they are all the same."  

I said to her "maybe if she at least read up on the surgery that I am having maybe she wouldn't have to make up stuff to scare me away from it."

So she says "I know someone who just died from throat cancer. But they were a heavy smoker."

I say, "mom - i don't smoke"

She says "i know"

I then walk away from her. If you want to try to pursuade me from not following through at least try rational arguments.

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

Shagdoll
on 7/17/12 2:17 am
Hugs to you gurl.
It's gotta be hard to not have support on the home front, especially your mom. It's also very hard to not get influenced from that... sometimes it questions what we are doing.
My mom was supportive but scared as hell. I told her I researched the sleeve through & through. I told her I would be OK, that I would survive the surgery and that I was going to be successful. I'm not sure if she believed me at the time but she believes me now and is so happy that I turned my life around. Hopefully your mom will come around too in time.
Best of luck to you!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

racemomss
on 7/17/12 2:20 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12
I understand... I have some who do not support me. My dad for one.. He thinks I am making a mistake. You keep on doing what you feel you should. I am probably going to be doing this alone. I will have to bribe someone to take me and pick me up
Desari63
on 7/17/12 2:26 am, edited 7/17/12 2:26 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
Well if you're anywhere near where I live in Texas, you give me a holler and I'll be there to get you to the hospital and back home if necessary!!!! Dr Barker is doing your surgery and he is in my aread... I have a big truck and man is it comfortable...!

Barbara McKeown

racemomss
on 7/17/12 3:45 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12
I sure might! I appreciate the offer. I hope my family will pull through crossing fingers..
Desari63
on 7/17/12 2:24 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Well first off...she didn't die from the surgery...SHE HAD CANCER!!!!! And as bad as that is, that is not what killed her and my prayers go out to the girl's family. Right...use a rational argument..not something totally unrelated to surgery.

Now...having no family support is not the good but it's not the end of the world either. Lots of people don't have their family support until after the surgery and they see the results and how happy and healthier you have become so don't fret it for now...They may still come around. This may be the only way for her to express her fear about you having surgery..of any kind...not just the weight loss surgery. Have you offered to take her to one of your appointments with your doctor or surgeon so they can give her information and stats on the surgery?  That might help with the fear that she seems to be showing through using unrelated cir****tances.

I wish I had words of wisdom but I don't ..just the experience of having everything work out after it's all said and done. And if you needs support.. you have all you could ever want or need right here with me and all your OH counterparts...we love ya regardless!!!!

Barbara McKeown

Izabelle G.
on 7/17/12 2:31 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
I have support from my husband and my friends. I just thought her arguments were so crazy that it really highlighted how unsupportive she is being.

I have tried to tell her the information and offered to have her go with me to some information sessions but she is stubborn. 

We unfortunately have a habit of her being crazy and me telling her that I'm just going to do what I want to with or without her support.

She was so against me marrying my now husband that just to be spiteful she showed up 15 minutes late to a very short ceremony. Fast forward 7 years, and she has said nice things to people about him. Not to us but to others and it has gotten back to us. LOL.

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

Desari63
on 7/17/12 2:45 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
I know it would be nice to have her support but as long as you have the support of a loving husband (I did and still have it to this day..nothing has changed) and friends then you'll be fine. She will come around just like she did with you husband...just not to you directly but indirectly. Don't worry..sounds like she may come around after it's all said and done...

Barbara McKeown

jubjub
on 7/17/12 3:41 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

terithecook
on 7/17/12 5:24 am - NY
Sounds like how I deal with my mother! AND I'm 52! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views