Program coordinator "predicts" my goal

NewtoYou
on 7/16/12 1:17 am
VSG on 09/10/12
So today I was talking about  "goals" with the program coordinator, and I asked her what I could expect from this surgery.

I am 33 yrs old, weigh 225 right now (have been losing pre-op) and 5'2... she said I should set my goal for 155lbs thats the goal.  But when I use that number to calculate BMI that puts me at 28 and still obese.  :(  Thats not cool.  

What are your thoughts on the matter for you BTDT folks? 
MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

rabid24
on 7/16/12 1:23 am
I think 28 is actually just overweight and not obese. I know that doesn't make you feel any better about things though.

I think they give high estimates because they have to go on what the average loss is. However, no one said you have to be average. What you lose is up to you, not your program coordinator! As you can see from all the vets on here, people lose all their excess weight plus some all the time. Don't let her set your limits for you.

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

favrow812
on 7/16/12 1:32 am, edited 7/16/12 1:32 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
She is probably wanting to keep things "realistic" in her eyes. The doctor and clinics only "job" is to get you out of the state of obesity and thats right where her goal sits. Most people on here will set their personal weight goals 10-15 pounds less than their physicians goals.

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Kevin H.
on 7/16/12 1:36 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I agree with the above posters.  The estimated average weight loss with the VSG is 60% of your excess weight.  

Plenty of people on here have lost 100%.  It's up to you how you want to use your tool.

seeingmyselfthere
on 7/16/12 1:38 am
VSG on 03/07/12

Good Morning NewtoYou!

I would never encourage anyone to discount the advise of their medical professionals - BUT... lol. Most times they set their standards based on a broad set of criteria that are not customized to each patient. It includes national averages, their professional opions and the experiences of most of their patients. While there's nothing wrong with this approach - I do think it's important for you to explore and establish your personal goals. To make sure I'm not leaving out some really vital perspective they've applied to their logic - be direct - ask them why they would only anticipate you reaching 155 (which would still put you at overweight) and not a weight that would put you within a normal range.  If they can't provide a specific reason - GO FOR IT! 

While my surgeon and I were pretty on point with my expectations for weight loss - there is no way I would go through this drastic change and not shoot for the stars.  I decided early on, I may reach my goal and decide I would like to put back on a few pounds or even lose a little more. But I will reach my goal!.

Good luck to you!. Take care - and be good to yourself!

Margaret

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 1:38 am
This is my thinking on this, I too am 5'2" and I now weight 105 lbs.  My doctor's prediction was 110 lbs. of course he did think that I was 5'1" at the time, I seemed to have found an inch.  Either way, there is no way in the world he would have set my goal at 155 lbs.  None.  He is that confident that his surgical technique plus his particular eating plan would get me to the low end of normal if that is where I wanted to go.  I would listen to her, really listen and make decisions based on this new information.  By the way, there is no way in heck I would have been happy at 155 lbs, but I am very small boned.  Good luck to you.
Kevin H.
on 7/16/12 1:44 am, edited 7/16/12 2:12 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 By the way .. i don't agree with those BMI charts .. 

I think for my height I'm supposed to weigh 148 lbs.  I don't want to look anorexic .. maybe I'll change my mind but my goal right now IS in the overweight range.  If i change my mind when I get there then so be it.  I was 186 when I graduated from high school so I set my goal around that .. for now.  I have always had a broad stocky build and don't really want to look too thin.

jenngirl
on 7/16/12 1:46 am
VSG on 06/25/12

What Kevin said...The sleeve alone can help you lose UP TO 60% of your EXCESS body weight. The rest is up to you. YOU should set your goal. Your program coordinator is trying to be realistic in setting a reachable goal for you. My 60% puts me at 210 lbs. Do you think that is my goal?? HECK NO!! I am shooting for the stars!! Your fate is in YOUR hands. Not the program coordinator's. Lots of luck to you!!

NewtoYou
on 7/16/12 1:49 am
VSG on 09/10/12
Thank you all for your replies.   The goal won't chance my decision of course, I will still proceed with my surgery in 4 weeks, 155 is better than 233!   I will meet and beat that number!     Really, my goal is only about 15lbs less than theirs.  

I conquered and surpassed my predictions for infertility and had triplets,  I am going to blow this out of the water too!    Go big or go home is my motto!!!
MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

Krazydoglady
on 7/16/12 2:10 am, edited 7/16/12 2:11 am - FL

155 would amount to is 80% EWL (Excess Weight Loss) from your current weight of 225. At your height (also mine) a normal BMI is 137lbs. 60-80% EWL is the average loss for VSG -- not per person, but across the whole pool of VSG patients. Some people lose 40% some 100%+. Each individual is, well, an individual, and their results are independent of every other individuals' results.

I am also 5'2", size 2-4 and I'll be 45 next month. I am in a maintenance range from 128-131lbs at 18 months post-op, and my body fat is about 21%, BMI of 23.5-23.8%.

I started at 291, although my official calculation for EWL starts at 264. I am at 107% EWL.

The sleeve is a tool. It's up to you to make the best use of it.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views