3 days post op, need help please!

tatatoothie
on 7/19/12 12:23 pm
 I am three days post op and I have noticed lately, I have been dry itchy cough.  Any one experienced this? Also, head hunger is really challenging.  Can you guys give some encouraging words or tips? Your help is appreciated.  
FloridaVSG
on 7/19/12 12:31 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
I'm also 3 days post up. The itchy cough is from the bougie inserted through your throat at time a surgery. It s still irritated. Stay off phone. Don't talk much. Rest.
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

tatatoothie
on 7/19/12 12:37 pm
 Thank you for the suggestion.  I will keep my talking to a minimum :)

INgirl
on 7/19/12 12:32 pm
You are using your spirometer they gave you right? :) That's a very important preventative measure to keep your lungs working properly after any abdominal surgery. 

If it progresses to anything worse than dry & itchy or doesn't pass in a day or two- get yourself into the Dr., ok? Could be irritation from being intubated, dry hospital air, or coming down with post-surgical pneumonia.

Head hunger is the hard part, that just takes a lot of self-talk, therapy if needed, and working that head stuff out.

tatatoothie
on 7/19/12 12:42 pm
 Yes, I have been using the spirometer religiously.  

You are right head hunger is really hard, I didn't realized how bad I was addicted to food until this surgery (really sad).
moonglo82
on 7/19/12 12:44 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Ditto what INgirl said about using the spirometer and keeping an eye on the cough. It's probably nothing, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

The head hunger is the worst! Just remember that what you're dealing with right now is temporary. It'll feel like forever while you're at each stage, but once you get to solids you'll look back on that month and it'll feel like no time at all. At almost four months out, I remember my first month postop, but it already seems like years ago.

Also, make sure you're taking your PPI, and email Gaby if you start to think the hunger is more than just head hunger. You may need a stronger PPI or you may need to up the dose.

Also, if you start to feel weepy or emotional, just remind yourself that this is normal too and forgive yourself for feeling that way! I was an emotional roller coaster for the first few weeks, but that gets better too, I promise

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

tatatoothie
on 7/19/12 1:06 pm
 Aww Moonglo you are too sweet.  Thank you for your encouraging words.  You have just described what I am feeling right now.  I am an emotional wreck, I know time will change everything,  thank you for your kind words.
cassi777
on 7/19/12 12:47 pm
VSG on 07/03/12
 I'm two weeks out and remember all too well what you are going through. Take it one day at a time. I had the dry itchy cough for about 4 days, but was also having issues using my breathing thing. 

As for the head hunger, I'm still fighting that one. The best thing I have learned is that when I start to get that, I grab a popsicle and that usually helps keep it at bay. There have been times this week where I have wanted nothing more than to feed that head hunger, but gotta stay strong. 

You are doing great and each day truly does get better! 
HW: 179 Pre-Op: 162
Goal: 115lbs  

tatatoothie
on 7/19/12 1:09 pm
 Thank you Cassi.  It's nice to know I am not losing it lol. Thank you for your uplifting words.
cassi777
on 7/19/12 1:16 pm
VSG on 07/03/12
 Thats what we are here for. It was about day three when I was hating life. I can happily say you got this and you're going to be so happy very soon!
HW: 179 Pre-Op: 162
Goal: 115lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views