OT! New York City

Bf516
on 7/26/12 4:53 am
Hey everyone a few of us are going to NYC in June 2013 for a vaca.

For those of you that are familiar, what do you suggest seeing, eating, enjoying, etc..????
(i know the normal stuff Liberty, Empire SB, etc....)
I'm meaning something we Ohioans don't know about..lol

Now I have more incentive to get my sleeve & BRING ON THE "skinny"!!!! LOL

Thx in advance :)
MissSmoove1
on 7/26/12 4:56 am
VSG on 08/13/12
Hello, do Time Square, its very pretty at night and its a lot to do there.
Bf516
on 7/26/12 5:50 am
Thx That is on our list!
Everchanging
on 7/26/12 5:09 am - NY
VSG on 03/13/12
Like the poster before me said,Time Sq at nights is the best place to be.There is usually so much going on.I guess it all really depends on what you guys what to do,You can check out a show.You can go to chinatown for shopping,Museums there is so much to do.

I'm on a Everchanging journey.       

Bf516
on 7/26/12 5:51 am
Thx, a show is an idea. It's on our list!
Wildcat-NYC
on 7/26/12 5:39 am
VSG on 08/16/12
It depends on what you like.  There are literally thousands of things to do/see.  I love The Met and Central Park.  I hate Times Square (way too many people for me)...

Depending on your budget, I can recommend a few restaurants.  NYC has so many amazing places to eat (it can be overwhelming).

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Bf516
on 7/26/12 5:53 am
Feel free to recommend because we have NO clue where to eat 'cause we want the overall experience of NYC.

We are staying around the Seaport Inn area so basically around everything.

Thx!
julesGA
on 7/26/12 6:48 am, edited 7/26/12 6:49 am - Brunswick, GA
 You will LOVE NYC!   I took my first trip in March and we are planning our return for early January to see the Christmas decorations. 

1. Skip the Empire State Building and go to the Top of the Rock instead.  (Rockefeller Center)  The view is much better and the lines are much shorter. 

2. Times Square is cool at night but very crowded.  Be prepared for the massive crowd. For me it was an "okay I've seen it-let's go thing".

3.  Don't feel like you have to stay near TS, it actually isn't by all that much stuff

4. Vow not to eat at any chain restaurant. (excpet Shake Shack, ya gotta go to Shake Shack!)  There is so much amazing local food to enjoy.  DO check out the food trucks. 

5.  Walk down 5th Ave and gawk at the high end designer stores

6. Leave time in your itinerary to simply wander around and enjoy the city

7. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.   It's only about a mile.  If you only want to walk one direction take the subway over and walk back towards Manhattan.  The views are lovely!

8. Don't be afraid of the subway. It is by far the cheapest and fastest way to get around. 

9.  While in Chinatown... if  you want a crazy dim sum experience go to Jing Fong.  It isn't the best dim sum ever but the place is huge, loud, garish, and a total blast. 

10. Wear comfortable walking shoes.  You will walk a lot, way more than you think you will. 

There is an awesome message board at Trip Advisor ..I suggest spending time doing a lot of reading over the as the locals are super helpful. 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York_City _New_York.html 

ENJOY!!!!

Bf516
on 7/26/12 7:15 am
 Ohhh you have some goodies that I didn't have on my list.

Thanks I added 'em!
jubjub
on 7/26/12 7:20 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 Walk the High Line - elevated park in the meatpacking (now trendy) district, built on an old elevated train track.

http://www.thehighline.org/ 

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views