Primary Care Referral

Swiftkick00
on 8/1/12 9:20 am
Hello all.....I'm very new to this site, but have been resaerching WLS for the last year...I attended a information seminar for a local hospital and I have a consult appointment on 8/15/12.
'Nut and bolts of it is that I'm 32 years old and really don't go to the doctor often.  If I'm really ill, I will go ,but not much more.  My insurance requires a referral from my primary care doctor who maybe has seen me 3 times over the last 3/4 years.  He isn't being cooperative with my decision, so I have made an appointment to another doctor in hopes that I can get a referral before my August 15th consult.

I'm over 300lbs with a BMI over 40 and have been overweight all my life, but have been fortunate not to have any other health ailments.  My insurance only requires meeting the BMI and a referral from a primary care.   Does anyone think I'll have problems with no an in-depth medical history?

Thanks for any insight.

RidgebackMom
on 8/1/12 12:13 pm - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
 My doctor wouldn't give me a referral either. So I stayed as a morbidly obese woman, unable to stop the train of destruction.  Then I decided that my doctor works for me.  If he won't help me, there are other doctors that would.  It took two more doctors, but then the referral and support were gladly given.  What a change my life has been since I left the doctor who would not listen, help or support me.  

Walk...don't run... Find a physician who will help you restore your health!   Good luck!
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

Swiftkick00
on 8/7/12 4:18 am
Thank you so very much for your kind words.....It has been so frustarting with this particular physician who simply said eat less and excercise......I have a new PCP now thats willing to help me in every way....I'm sooo looking forward to going to my consultation next week.
JAlston
on 8/1/12 10:27 pm
VSG on 12/07/12
I would find another Dr that supports WLS and have your medical records for the last 5 years sent to him/her. My surgeon requires a letter of recommendation from my PCP with 5 years of recorded weights. That way, even if your letter doesn't require that, your new Dr will see your weight problem history.

Good luck!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Swiftkick00
on 8/7/12 4:09 am
Thank you so much......I went to meet with my new doctor who is more than willing to guide me through this process.  I just did a full work up with him....I'm so excited because my consulatation is next Thursday with the surgeon.
RidgebackMom
on 8/7/12 10:21 am - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
It sounds like you found a "true doctor" who is ready to help make this journey possible!  Way to go!
AS I have said before, I have NEVER regretted my choice in having surgery.  Again... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

~ Terri
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views