It doesn't have to slow down

hrford
on 8/6/12 2:03 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Ok so month 4 was a slow month in weight loss, at 9 lbs.  I had my first week with less than a lb loss and another of "only" 2 lbs.  I was worried it was the beginning of the end, that every pound would now be a HUGE struggle.  Then I had the breast reduction surgery and I was TERRIFIED that without being able to exercise it would be all over.  I've been good with my food not cheating or anything but I was truly convinced that without exercise I would be an utter failure at the weight loss thing.  I lost 2 lbs the week after surgery, but considering the day after surgery I weighed 8 lbs more than when I went in, the 2lbs was not bad.  But I stepped on the scale this morning and I was down 6lbs this week.  Not a bit of exercise over walking at least a .5 mile each day (honestly for me that really doesn't count).  

I'm hoping that I take out of this that I can do it, I can eat correctly and eating correctly will show losses and two I really need to not stress out about this stuff.  It's in my nature to stress, I need to work on that, and remember that I may not always be perfect but I will NEVER give up.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

loverofcats
on 8/6/12 2:32 am

Eating correctly always, always pays off. Also, after plastics or any type of surgery, your metabolism is increased for a short period of time, due to the energy that is involved in the healing process. This is part of the reason that many people see a drop in weight after major surgery, such as plastics. So much energy is involved in the healing process, that the weight often (not always) drops off. I think some people have noticed this effect for about 6 weeks after surgery.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

hrford
on 8/6/12 2:51 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Well that's yet another reason to get this surgery then!  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/

Marie M.
on 8/6/12 3:04 am - PA
I'm 10.5 months out and although my loss is definitely slowing down, I AM still losing, probably about 6 lbs this month.  Stay on plan and everything works out.

Good luck,
Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

sunnymicki
on 8/6/12 3:11 am
Never underestimate the power of rest and recovery!  I'm betting that the forced slow down from your surgery gave your body the time it needed to heal and drop the weight.

I think there is the prevailing idea that the more intense exercise we do, the better off we are.  In reality, when we push really hard, we can overtax our bodies, kick our heart rates out of the ideal range (too high) for burning body fat the most efficiently, and as a result see a slow down in weight loss when we expect an increase.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

loverofcats
on 8/6/12 4:21 am
This is true. The increased stress of excessive exercise or any other type of stress,  can cause the release of more cortisol, which can also slow weight loss down. Always a delicate balancing act.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Happy966
on 8/6/12 5:01 am

I am the only reason I'm not losing faster.  I think I'm okay with it, because it's what I'm doing.  I was so excited to see 169 on the scale last week, and then *immediately* freaked out and ate guacamole at dinner and other high-fat foods this weekend.  I'm such a wacko around this stuff.  Like something would happen to me if I hit 160 pounds?.  So today, I'm 170.  I think what was weirder than the scale is I suddenly (and I mean, suddenly) "shrank out" of all my 14s even though I only lost 4 or 5 pounds.  What's up with that??  Why is it scary?  They're not even "my" clothes - there almost all from Goodwill and the Salvation Army. 

Oh well.  Today, I'm working on telling myself that it's okay to be smaller, I'll be the same person, and I probably won't notice the difference in how I feel from the inside.  I won't be fragile.  I won't blow away in a strong breeze.  160 pounds is plenty substantial, and all I have to do is get there and take a look-see at that size. 

I've had a very low-cal day so far, and feel pretty calm.  I am still very comfortable eating 800-1000 calories, and when I do this, I lose weight pretty steadily.  I put the 14s in bags to go to Goodwill.  I will trust the universe that I will be fine at a more normal weight.

I'm glad you're feeling better.  You looked amazing in the newspaper picture - tiny, for sure!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

hrford
on 8/6/12 5:25 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I realized today that this is the weight I was when I was in the Army.  I was "overweight" and constantly on the "fat program" so I still see this weight as bad.  I know it isn't horrid and in another 7 lbs I would actually meet the Army standard fro height, weight and age, but I still feel huge I think the Army really did a number on my head for that one.

You're right at 160lbs you will NOT blow away.  Though you may find that your hands and feet are ice cubes all the time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views