Need a boost...

MyTurn2012
on 8/21/12 8:56 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Today is my BD and even though I'm receiving lovely best wishes from friends and family I'm still feeling a little down.  I watched a video this morning about Canadian wait times for surgery and even though I know I have to wait..it really struck me that I'm ready for this NOW..and worry I'll slide back down into old habits of "feeding" my emotions...because of these seriously long wait lists..my surgeon told me 3 to 5 yrs...BUT he also said that the BC Gov't might be announcing fast tracking these wait lists soon. Maybe a year then..maybe....so I'm stuck with hurry up and wait..

I've been using My Fitness Pal this past 2 weeks and have seen a loss of 9.1 lbs..but the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying "but you know this won't work in the long run" I'm trying to stay positive..trying to work through all the head issues with food. 

I think BD tend to make us reflect..I'm 53 today and want to get on with living...
faylavi
on 8/21/12 9:33 am - Laurel, MD
Birthday's are tough and so is waiting for surgery.  Your prepartion is not in vain! Continue tracking your food and working through your emotional eating. Stay plugged in (on here or my fitness pal) as they will help to remain focused!

Fay

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

MyTurn2012
on 8/21/12 9:55 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Thank you Fay! I will keep tracking and remembering to stay honest when I track..it helps to see where improvements can be made and insights into days when I slip a little...and days when I've been really successful 

Shagdoll
on 8/21/12 3:01 am, edited 8/21/12 3:01 am
I feel for you gurl. That is a long wait, I'm not gonna lie. Try to hang in there. I think it's awesome that you have already started to get your eating habits on track & have lost weight already. Eye on the prize gurl. Keep focused as you are. We are here for you!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

MyTurn2012
on 8/21/12 10:37 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Thanks Jenn!  I really appreciate the support!
Italian-Princess
on 8/21/12 10:06 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi MyTurn 

First of all.............HAPPY BIRTHDAY!   
MyTurn2012
on 8/21/12 10:37 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Thank you 

Ann
Italian-Princess
on 8/21/12 10:09 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
For some reason, most of what I wrote didn't show up in my first post -- hoping it will this time!

Fay gave you good advice.  Keep tracking your food -- every little tiny bite of it.  I can't remember who said it, but I keep this phrase in my head when tracking my food:

If you nibble it, scribble it, if you bite it, write it..............again, I wish I could credit the author.

It helps makes me accountable for everything that I eat.

Work on removing any negative thoughts about this not working this time.  Yes, you have a long wait, but you can get a head start and be totally prepped to have your surgery when it's your turn.  I hope they do fast track for you.  Is it possible your surgeon could move you ahead if you have comorbidities? 

You've lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks...........that's pretty much on pace with the faster losers here.  You're already doing an amazing job -- keep it going!

If you want, feel free to add me to your friends on MFP.  I'm Justme72847 there. 

Keep posting here -- we want to help you, support you, and give you as much encouragement as we can!

Good luck!

Ree
MyTurn2012
on 8/21/12 10:33 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Hi Ree thanks for the encouragement! I do have comorbidities of Sleep Apnea and a fatty liver if that is one.  I am wondering if I will get it a bit sooner..I see the internal med Dr next week..and I'm guessing after him I'll be referred to the NUT..my surgeon has me coming back in Jan to "see how I've been doing on my own"..I get the feeling the surgeons here keep a watch on who is ready and committed..these patients might get a higher priority.  While in his office there was a man who chatted me up..saying he's been going for 4 yrs to see his surgeon in same office waiting for his surgery! But after talking to him for a while it became clear he isn't truly committed in the process and not following the surgeons plan for him. 

I have lost a good amount these past 2 weeks..it was a good jumpstart for sure..I was moving during that time and was putting in 12 to 16hr days with the move/working..surprisingly it didn't kill me lol. Sure sweated in all the heat and physical activity 

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/21/12 3:53 am, edited 8/21/12 3:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
First - Happy Birthday!

I hear you about frustration with wait times. They're shorter here in Alberta, but with so many people in need of WLS and funding being what it is (500 surgeries being done this year) it can feel like an exercise in futility to keep going to appointments.

So - I looked over our finances, did my research, talked to my husband and GP (aftercare) and headed south. I'll be honest - it was scary, but I can tell you now that it's by far the best thing I've EVER done for myself - and I got much better care at the hospital in Mexicali than I would have here. I'm off my pain and BP meds and feel years younger - and I've only lost 31# so far. I'm going to be a force to reckon with by the time I'm done.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 478 views