In Training

Izabelle G.
on 8/23/12 8:21 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
This might be a weird question.

I am still preop and have been "training" myself on the liquid diet which I don't have to start until Oct. 10th. So I have been doing protein shakes as my breakfast. So my question is when I have a meal, I am supposed to wait an hour before drinking water (training myself on that too). Is that the case with protein shakes as well?

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

EliseG
on 8/23/12 8:33 am - MA
Personally, I consider protein shakes as liquid, so I don't wait to drink water after drinking a shake.

Sara R.
on 8/23/12 8:50 am

It depends on how you feel. If you drink it like a meal and dont sip on it over a long period of time i would call it a meal and wait to drink water for 30-60 mins. The thing your doing is teaching yourself to recognize full and not full. if you drink water too soon then you just push everything through your stomach. Its harder to feel full on less quantities when you have a normal sized stomach so you might have difficulty with that but good practice.

Good luck!
Sara

Shagdoll
on 8/23/12 8:50 am
Hi there,
I was told to wait an hour after you eat before you drink. I also apply this if I drink a protein shake as a meal. I know the shake is probably going thru my system as fast as water, but I just try to keep good practice if it's a meal, I wait an hour.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Marie M.
on 8/23/12 5:39 pm - PA
Isabel,

First of all, you go girl!!  You are really preparing yourself for post op life--soo proud of you!!

I don't drink "shakes" per se.  I drink unsweetened iced tea with one scoop of unflavored protein powder twice/day.  Once I drink one of these, it does tend to fill me and it's probably an hour before I would feel like eating or drinking something.  I don't drink these as meal replacements--just count it towards my daily water intake.

If the protein shake is a meal replacement, then yes, I would wait an hour to drink so that the shake will keep you feeling full.

BTW, did you go to the support group meeting last nite?  I moved my daughter into college so wasn't able to make it.

((hugs))

Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Izabelle G.
on 8/24/12 7:40 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
Thanks, Marie. I figure that these are habits I have to kick once I am post-op so might as well kick them now. I have completely kicked chewing gum and soda. But I must admit I haven't been able to give up my weekly glass of wine. I still have a month and half to do that.

I did not go to the support group meeting. My husband had to work late and I had no one to watch my daughter. Besides the topic was supposed to be plastics and I am not at that point yet.

Izabelle G.
on 8/24/12 7:41 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 87 views