Surgery date Sept. 28th Dr. Aceves

hburns1967
on 9/2/12 9:38 pm
 Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone else was having surgery on the 28th of Sept.? I'm scared to death I will get an infection. I had one when I had my hysterectomy 4yrs ago and almost died so I'm petrified. I'm going to Dr. Aceves and I hope I made the right decision. Any help would be great to calm my nerves. I'm driving my family crazy. They don't fully understand how I feel. SCARED! Thanks everybody.
kdolphin
on 9/3/12 9:40 am - FL
 HI,

I am not going on the 28th but he did my band to sleeve revision 18 months ago.  Just like you I was scared.

Everyones experience is very different but mine was really great considering the major surgery I had.  From the time I woke up from surgery to the ride to the airport it was so much better than I thought it was going to be.  My husband went with me and was shocked at how I did since I am such a baby.

Good Luck to you and follow their directions and I hope you have an uneventful recovery.
hburns1967
on 9/3/12 11:23 am
 Thank you very much for the encouragement! I'm sure I'll be fine just scared of the unkown.
moonglo82
on 9/3/12 9:51 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I was terrified going into my surgery. I was in tears when Dr. Aceves's team rolled me into the OR. In fact, I wasn't supposed to be the first surgery of the day, but when Blanca and Yolanda saw how scared I was that morning, they quickly rearranged the schedule lol.

I will say this much: Dr. Aceves's team goes above and beyond to do everything they can to prevent infections. They give you an antibiotic to take the night before surgery. I remember there were other precautions taken, but I don't remember what they were off the top of my head. If you want more information, call Nina... she's great about answering those kinds of questions. I must have called her five or six times in the month or two before my surgery, and she was awesome. Made me feel like she actually wanted to answer my questions.

If you're in good hands with anyone, you're in good hands with Aceves. You'll be sleeved before you know it!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

hburns1967
on 9/3/12 11:30 am
 Thanks for your post. Im going to see if my Dr. here will put me on antibiotics before I go just to be safe. Hope she will. I have an app. on the 4th to tell her what i'm doing. I have a feeling she wont be happy about me going to Mexico. She's in shape and runs alot so she doesn't understand. Just exercise and eat right. Yeah right. Duhhh hasn't worked so far and I'm 44. 
moonglo82
on 9/3/12 2:58 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Call Nina and make sure it's okay to do that before you add or subtract any medications to your current regimen that Dr. Aceves is aware of.  It should be fine, but everything you do between now and surgery that changes the information on your paperwork needs to be brought to their attention for safety reasons. 

Forgot to mention this earlier, but their hospital seemed cleaner to me than hospitals here at home.  Crazy, right?  There was a cleaning lady that was reaching over a nurse's head to dust a picture while I was waiting for my preop bloodwork the day before... it was like she was looking for something to clean.  They are that thorough over there.  It's insane. 

And I'm pretty sure they give you an antibiotic in your IV too... but I could be wrong about that. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

hburns1967
on 9/3/12 8:39 pm
 I will be sure to ask before I do anything. I'm glad the hospital is clean. It helps with my fears. Thanks.
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/3/12 10:04 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Dr Aceves and his team are wonderful! The hospital is unbelievably clean and the janitorial staff takes pride in doing an excellent job.

I hate to say it, but most hospitals up here are pretty grimy. When I was expecting to have my surgery here my plan was to get back home as fast as possible to avoid infection from staph and whatever else was wandering around.

The hospital in Mexicali is a whole different ball game. I joke that you could lick the floors, but then they'd have to wash them again. The floor was washed (and dried with a fan so it wouldn't be slippery) 3 times a day. Even our doors were scrubbed one day.

Do you have a support person going with you? My husband (and a pink stuffed rabbit) went with me and was both helpful and a great comfort. You've made a GREAT choice of surgeon. You're going to be just fine.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

hburns1967
on 9/3/12 11:49 am
 Yes. My daughter is coming with me. She is my biggest supporter. My husband doesn't seem real interested in the whole thing so whatever. We've been married almost 30yrs so I guess the honeymoon phase is over. Lol. I hope all goes well. I know god will protect me but I'm still scared. I'm glad the hospital is clean that's important to me. I'm fearful from the infection I had yrs ago that it could happen again. But its being done lap. not open so that  makes me more confident.
jac030506
on 9/10/12 9:47 am
I am also being sleeved by Dr Aceves on Sept 28th and have been looking for someone! You must have scheduled recently because I was the only one on the 28th for a while. I would love to speak with you! I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if you can PM or email me? I am going alone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views