liquid pre op diet, help

Diane W.
on 9/6/12 6:17 am
Hi all, I am in day 6 of a 10 day pre op liquid diet, surgery set for the 10th. My concern is I am not losing the weigh I thought I would lose during this phase. Have only lost 5 pounds. Is this something I should be concerned about? I had lost 15 lbs prior to starting the liquid phase and not sure if that loss has skewed my loss now? Any thoughts, suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks.
rhetamae
on 9/6/12 6:29 am - TX
I only lost ten over the 14 day liquid diet.  I think you're fine.  As long as you strictly stick to it  you should have no issues!  Good luck!  The first week after surgery is hell, but then it gets better and better.  It was totally worth it!  Ive lost 44 in two months!
Diane W.
on 9/6/12 6:37 am
Wow, that is fabulous, congrats. I think I am just frightened that the doc will cancel the surgery if I don't lose a lot of weight during this phase. From the day of the orientation I first went to I started increasing protein and dramatically reducing carbs and sugar and lost the 15. I think I am also getting a little scared about the surgery being so close and my nerves are getting the better of me. Thanks for your reply, it helps!!
Diane W.
on 9/6/12 6:42 am
Thanks so much for your reply. I think my nerves are getting the best of me as the surgery gets closer. I just am fearful that the doc will cancel the surgery if I show up and have not lost a lot of weight. I started making dietary changes the day I went to the orientation at the clinic and lost 15 lbs.
Congrats on your loss. that is wonderful. Can't wait to be able to say I lost that amount! I am sure the first week will be difficult but I have had one other major abdomonal surgery so I am sure I will have some degree of discomfort.
AGain, thanks!
Tia M.
on 9/6/12 6:56 am - Killeen, TX
As log as you are losing during this period you will be fine. Everyone loses at different rates, even with the liquid diet. I lost 14lbs over the two weeks I was on it. But I have heard about others losing more and some losing less. But you are going in the right direction. You are shrinking that liver so they have more room to operate. GOOD JOB!!!!

Diane W.
on 9/6/12 7:20 am
Thanks Tia, appreciate the reply. Just getting so nervous!!
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/6/12 9:21 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I think you having lost 15 lbs prior to starting the liquid phase might have something to do with it. If you were eating good, clean, low sodium, healthy foods, your body probably didn't have as much of the water weight that some lose in the liquid diet.

I am sure I will be the same way...starting my liquids Monday, but I've lost 13 lbs in the last month, really watching my eating, etc. So I don't really expect to drop tons of weight when I start my liquids...hopefully I am surprised though!!

Also, depending on what liquids you are having, if they have more sodium (broths), you might be retaining some of that. If so, maybe try drinking some lemon water at night to rid your body of the salt.

Good luck on your surgery! 

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

pineview01
on 9/6/12 4:42 pm - Davison, MI
I gained during my 2 week liquid diet!  I had been on Atkins and lost before the diet.  The high carb in the shakes after being on a low carb diet caused me to gain.  So, I think losing five is great.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views