Trying to plan ahead for back to work

jjldh_va
on 9/10/12 6:40 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with
I am trying to plan time off at work, as my surgery is now in less than a month (10/9, come fast!) away.
So... wanted to ask all the post op VSG'ers out there....

When did you feel like you were ready to go back to work? 
What was the biggest challenge suddenly being back in that familiar environment? 
Do you wish you took more time off or less?

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

beach_mama
on 9/10/12 6:56 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Hi there,

I had my surgery on the 16th of August (Thursday) and went back to work on the 27th so had another week off after.  I felt fine and ready to come back a few days before that actually.  I am doing desk/administration duties anyway.

Good luck with your surgery!

LilSleeved
on 9/10/12 7:20 am
After I had my LapBand, I was off for 4 weeks due to lifting restrictions and my work not allowing us to work if we had any restrictions at all.  I was really glad I took this time off because it allowed me to rest and learn my new way of eating.

This time the restrictions are for 5 weeks, so I will be off for 5 weeks.  I feel it's a good idea because by the time, I return to work, I will be eating regular food (hopefully, my body will cooperate) and I will hopefully have my energy almost back to pre-op.  I work 12 hour nights on my feet as an RN.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Donna L.
on 9/10/12 7:30 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Hello, I had the sleeve on August 30. Today is my first day back at work. I was off about 10 days. Mine is office work. I feel pretty good. Not 100% but glad to back at work. I really haven't had any challenges. I just brought my protien drinks with me. I'm happy with the amount of time I took off. I did have to take a day off before the surgery to get all the pre-tests done.

Allie A.
on 9/10/12 10:52 am - Canada
I initially booked 2 weeks off. I have a desk job. I tried to come back at that point, but couldn't do it. All the standing and sitting, walking to the printer and back exhausted me. I bairly made it thru my first day. I was so sore the next day, I called in sick. The 3rd day I left early because of nausia. After that I took another two weeks.

I felt too well to be sitting around the house all day, but couldn't put in a full days work.

If you are going back before 1 month, get some comfortable work clothes. Pants with a waistband began hurting half way thru the day.

If you can arrange it, try going back to work slowly. Work half days for a week. I wish I had.
Wildcat-NYC
on 9/10/12 8:09 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 I have a desk job and went back to work a week after surgery...I was tired, but it was manageable.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views