Thoughts on Prep for Surgery NEXT MONTH

jjldh_va
on 9/13/12 11:24 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with

So, I did finally tell one of my best friends about my surgery.  I have had so many issues with people not understanding, or freaking out about going to Mexico, that I had been hesitating telling anyone else. 

I have 2 women I consider "best" friends.  One, I already told and she was the one who had issues with it.  The other one has been out of town, and has a special needs daughter, which obviously takes up a huge portion of her time.  She is a fantastic woman, a strong feminist, a humanist, and someone who would give you the shirt off her back if you needed help.  I talked to her at her daughter's birthday, because that has been the first time we had a moment.  She was so matter of fact, it floored me.  "Oh, I know someone who did something like that at my church.  And [A mutual friend] was considering going to Thailand, she lived there for 2 years and the doctors are great."  I just expected so much more... something, that the kind of "oh that’s nice" reaction took me aback.  Then I hugged her and said I so needed someone to react like that.  To remind me that I know what I am doing, and that the world is a much smaller place. 

Too many Americans have this view of the world that is so out of whack... like nothing outside of the US can be a good as we do it.  "We are the place everyone wants to live of course!"  Too many have this view of our Southern Neighbor as a drug infested, drug gang run, contaminated water, tourists get raped and murdered there, kind of place.  Which is not the case in many areas, but we tend to hear about the bad and only the bad... it makes better press frankly.  My friend is well traveled, she adopted her daughter from Bulgaria, and she kind of reminded me that there are people who are more worldly who know about places other than US, and western Europe.  

Her acceptance has helped me get over the hump that was preventing me from beginning to 
mentally prepare a bit more.  So....

I start my pre-op diet in 16 days.  Going shopping at Costco soon to get vitamins and protein drinks, the rest I will get at the local grocery or online.  Made some lists (cause I tend to do that), and am wrapping my head around it.  I started a journal as well, and will use it to make notes about things to work on, maybe talk over with my therapist.

Counting down... 26 days to go.  26 days to come to terms with the fact that my life will be changing completely, and 26 days to come to terms with the fact that food will no longer be my friend.  I will need to work on that last part more and more as things go along.  Hence the therapist!

Any suggestions from people who have been there?  What things do you wish you had or had done to prepare?

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

mimij
on 9/13/12 11:31 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
Best wishes to you. I would have gone to Mexico after researching doctors if I had not had insurance benefit for this. Turns out, I will probably end up paying more than you will for the same standard of care-And you will have a getaway at the same time! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

lolabigcups
on 9/13/12 3:54 pm - Napoleon, OH
VSG on 10/05/12 with
You will be arriving as I will be leaving.I told my friends at work and was truly amazed by the support from everyone.One of my friends actually said when I get back to work she is going to start really watching her weight because she wants to be on my side and help me out.I didnt plan on tellling anyone in the beginning but I am so excited I just couldnt keep my big mouth shut.I have had a couple gals ask what my goal weight is but I am not saying because I dont want them questioning me about it.I told them its a magic number I have in my head and that shut them up.I will be starting my preop liquid diet on the 21st.In the mean time I have eaten everything I think I might not or should not really eat again.I am sooo excited and cant wait to meet the thin person waiting inside.You will do fine,just breathe!!
jjldh_va
on 9/13/12 4:20 pm
VSG on 10/09/12 with
Thank you both!  I am excited... its becoming more real, thats for sure!

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

pineview01
on 9/13/12 1:42 pm, edited 9/13/12 1:42 pm - Davison, MI
If I can't get insurance to pay after all avenues fail, I too will be in Mexico!

Your surgeon is on my short list too. I've already started to research just
in case.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views