Elina_7,what is your opinion on....

desertmom
on 9/15/12 9:56 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Eating in moderation to get to goal?

(In your rant you said that if we wanted to know your opinion on this we should ask)

I am really interested to hear why you think this is not the way to go and what is?

Thank you

stephintexas
on 9/15/12 4:11 am, edited 9/15/12 4:30 am
What rant?

NVM..lol I found it.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 11:50 am, edited 9/14/12 7:12 pm
To be honest I could write a long chapter in my imaginary book on VSG on this topic, so I am going to have to just hit some highlights. If you really want to talk further about this, just let me know.

Here are some basic reasons I think that moderation is not the best strategy with VSG.

1) Early out, and even later, we have a very small capacity. Our bodies can make just about everything else they need, but they can't make the amino acids found in protein. We have to eat enough protein to keep our muscles, including our hearts healthy. In order to do this, we must limit the carbs and even veggies, early out, otherwise we just run out of room.

2) Calories are not all the same. There is quite a bit of research out now that shows that carbs effect our metabolism in a way that prevents maximum weight loss. I could write a chapter just on this point alone.

3) I believe that maximizing our "honeymoon" period is crucial. You can read some of my other posts about the "honeymoon" period to get a better idea of the many reasons I believe it is important to lose the most weight we can in the first 6-12 months. It is not impossible to lose after this time, but for many reasons, I do believe it gets much harder. In order to lose this weight in the fastest possible time period, eating a calorie restrictive diet works best, hoverer, as I stated before, protein is non negotiable. This means we must eat a high protein, low carb diet to get the maximum results.

There is more, and I could go on and elaborate on each point, but I think this gets the basics down. I am sure others would want to chime in and clarify things.
chiefsgirl3
on 9/15/12 12:00 pm - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 I think you just gave three terrific reasons!

INgirl
on 9/15/12 12:06 pm
One biggie, if I may chime in.. moderation... hmmm.

Moderation of protein-based food like meats- self limiting by restriction for many, moderation of veggies- little harm, even if you CAN eat more of them than meat.. most of us can.. same with fruits to a degree.. Fats, eh.. not really but satiety with fats happens fairly quickly, so the urge to continue to eat them is also self-limiting to a degree. This is by no means for ALL, just for many- especially the first year or so..

Moderation of carbs, tasty tasty carbs? Whether pasta, potatoes, grains, or chips/candy.. many of us find these items digest the fastest, pass through our stomachs the fastest, and often offering little restriction.. so moderation of them becomes a much harder and tricky proposition when you realize you can eat a huge bowl and not FEEL it. That doesn't take into account the insulin response and later cravings/real hunger many feel afterwards. That right there takes trying to moderate intake and adds gas to a smoldering fire, making it harder (for many.)

Plus for me, lack of ability to self-moderate was what got me here.. I am not so stubborn (or stupid) to deny this truth to myself. I am not good at "moderation" so I measure, track, log and use every other technique I can to stay mindful of my intake to make sure it doesn't get out of hand and put what I've achieved into the danger zone.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 12:12 pm
I endorse this message.  :)
Cwuddy
on 9/15/12 12:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12
 I am very new at this thing Elina, but from everything I've read, including posts from long-term VSG'ers and talking to people who have been thru this...I have to agree with you on this one.  Plus I think if you want to develop good habits you really need to let go of your old ones soo that the new habits can are rooted solidly in place.  Just my humble opinion.

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

desertmom
on 9/15/12 12:42 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi

You k ow I asked this because I practiced moderation but this being no carbs for breakfast, 20 carbs for lunch and 20 carbs more or less for dinner plus the milk I use in my tea.It worked well for me even though I started stalling more,meaning I suppose I was just sneaking more carbs.O,and only complex carbs,no refined carbs!

Well,I quit smoking 2 days ago (yes,I never should have started after the sleeve) and let me tell you carbs are from satan himself!

I gave myself permission to get over the withdrawal for 72 hours by eating what I want and it has been a total nightmare.Yes,my quantities are smaller than before surgery but the cravings and the constantly wanting something and not something good or healthy but rubbish,is terrible.And finding out how much I can really eat if I constantly snack is a nightmare!

I know the extra weight is mostly water because I have still been burning a whole lot of cals exercising but even my eyes are swollen.I feel like rubbish,tired and queezy but stiil I want something NICE!

Tomorrow afternoon my 72 hours are over but I will not keep eating until then.

I am going to reset with proteins tomorrow.And lots of water.And when the really low carb gets to me (serotonin levels gets really low) then I will add a little complex carbs.But in my heart of hearts I know that to lose this 40 pounds I will have to make an enormous effort in the next few months.

Thanks for your post.I just need to hear these things again every now and then.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 1:01 pm
Just remember, eating carbs makes you crave more carbs.  There is a complex mechanism at work, but this is true for most people.  I find "hunger" for me is usually either thirst masquerading as hunger or it is the reaction to eating more carbs.  If you need to hear what is really going on in your body when you eat the carbs and why you are feeling hunger and cravings after you eat them, just ask me. 

I know you can do this and I am rooting for you to succeed in giving up cigarettes.  But just remember, beleive it or not, the carbs can be just as dangerous over time.
KKinLA
on 9/15/12 2:31 pm - Los Angeles, CA
The day I realized I could eat fairly large portions of simple carbs and not feel them, as INgirl describes, was the day I started struggling to control my weight post-VSG. For me, that was at about 18 months post-op. Elina is totally right about protein and about losing as much as you can quickly. There really is a post-op honeymoon period and it really does end; this can be difficult to imagine until it happens to you but it will happen.

Protein is your friend. I'm never, ever physically hungry when I stick to protein. If I eat simple carbs I'm in big, big trouble. Carbs mess with my body and, more importantly, my mind. During the honeymoon phase, food is merely necessary to keep you alive. That mindset is crucial to maintain over time. Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views