High Protein Diets

jjldh_va
on 9/21/12 9:20 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with

So, had an appointment with my NUT last night and she mentioned that one of the problems with many high protein diets is that they do not introduce carbs back in small stages... which means that when you go off them and suddenly have many more carbs than normal, your body takes the carbs and turns them right into fat and you gain weight immediately.

Has anyone else heard this?

I know I am going to be eating this way for a while to give myself the best chance to get to my goal weight, but I plan to reintroduce them when I get to maintenance.  I do not want to exclude forever healthy carbs from things like fruit. 

Your thoughts?

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

HEATHER H.
on 9/21/12 1:28 pm - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
I could see some truth in that logic. That's why we need to SLOWLY up our calories as we approach maintenace and re-introduce carbs carefully. I'm sure the vets would have more valuable input on the topic. That's just my opinion and how I figured I would go about it when the time comes. I do know that most of the vets seem to be able to return to relatively "normal" diets in maintenance, from what I've seen.

Highest Weight: 270   Pre-Op Weight 267    Day of Surgery: 254.5   Current: 154             Month 1: -20lbs , Month 2 -16lbs, Month 3 -15lbs Month 4 - 10lbs, Month 5 - 11lbs;  month 6 - 9lbs; month 7 - 6lbs; month 8 - 4lbs; month 9 - 5lbs; month 10 - 1lb

pineview01
on 9/23/12 4:12 pm - Davison, MI
Having been a hard core low carber, it's crack to me, I believe this to
be true.  Seen the data too.  That is why when I add good carbs back
I'm only suppose to add 5g a week.  Veggies fist than low carb fruits.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

furrynana
on 9/23/12 4:27 pm
I agree with your nutritionist.  I've done low carb in the past.  It absolutely takes the weight off quickly.  The problem is that when you add carbs back in, your cells welcome them with open arms and blow up like microwave popcorn bags.  I am on a balanced plan that is recommended by my nutritionist and it's working.   I would caution against approaching post-op as a "diet."  You want to establish new eating patterns.  Establish your new eating patterns based on what you are willing to commit to for the rest of your life. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views