Acid Reflux AFTER VSG

Megan S.
on 9/21/12 2:05 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Hello!!
I'm a lurker on here..I'm in the learning stages of VSG. I've been reading all the post all day, everyday. I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible. I have what might be a silly question, so please excuse my dumbness.

I've read about people having acid reflux and my question is if you didn't have acid reflux before the surgery do you have it now, or are these conditions pre surgery?

Thanks for any answers!!!

Megan

trulyhappy
on 9/21/12 3:08 pm
VSG on 07/31/12

There are no silly questions. That being said, my nutritionist (NUT) told me that it is pretty much a "crapshoot." Can you imagine her saying that? Pre-surgery I was taking meds for really bad acid reflux. What NUT said is that it can go either way. I can either come out with still having acid reflux or it could go away. If you don't have acid reflux, you just might end up with it. How's that for an "I don't know answer." From a NUT no less!

Hope this helps.
KSqtpie
on 9/21/12 3:14 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Hi there! I am 3 months out and experience a little bit of acid in my new tummy, but nothing that some tums won't settle down. And it only happens when I eat something like bread or fried foods. If I stick to plan and eat protein and veggies, I feel great. I didn't really have acid problems before VSG, but I will say that if having a little acid in my tummy once in a while is the trade off to how great I feel...I will take it!!! I started at 227 in July, today I am at 186. It doesn't get much better than that Good luck to you!

Birdie55
on 9/21/12 3:32 pm
I never had acid reflux before VSG,  only after.  It takes our new smaller stomachs awhile to reduce the amount of acid it produces.  I think I took a PPI for the first year and then reduced to 1/2 overy other day or so.  Then quit.  I still take an antacid occasionally...bread causes acid in my stomach still but I don;t eat it regularly so it;s not a constant problem.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

olewon2
on 9/20/14 11:59 pm

Five days post op I had the worst night because of acid reflux. What sleep I got was in an almost upright position. Even after taking an Rx it still was bad. Today is not much better. Queasy and generally worn out. Please tell me it gets better. I drank mostly sugar free Instant Breakfast and water. One sugar free Kool Aid jello and one  sugar free pudding. I was trying to get in more protein yesterday and may have overdone the Instant Breakfast. I did not ingest the amounts suggested by my doctor. 

No age limit for success

oahufirewater
on 9/21/12 4:31 pm - HI
VSG on 09/07/12
 I am two weeks out from having VSG surgery.  I was on medication for acid reflux before the surgery and I still have it but its worse.  I take my medication plus eat tums like candy :)  I hope it gets better with time.  
novascotiadawn
on 9/21/12 8:14 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Didn't have symptoms prior....But I sure do now!..Still on a meds 4 + years out!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

PapaJack
on 9/21/12 8:46 pm - VA
I call it sour stomach.  I take a pill ( over the counter ) maybe 3 times a week.  Most of the time I eat something & it goes away.

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/12 9:36 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
I never had acid reflux before surgery and I do have it pretty badly now. It's my only side effect. With Prilosec daily--it keeps the acid reflux completely at bay. I would still have done the sleeve even with having acid reflux.
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/12 9:28 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
One of the problems I had with the band was that it was causing band-induced GERD.  In the months prior to revision, while I had an empty band, the GERD went down substantially.

Just prior to surgery, the surgical team gave me something to cut down the acid to make the surgery safer and, for the first 30 days following surgery, I was on a once-daily PPI to cut down the possibility of acid to prevent ulcers.

That being said, I haven't had any reflux or acidy or heartburn issues since I got the sleeve.  And, I'm officially 33 days out and finished the PPI.

Unlike the band, where coffee was verboten for quite a long time, I was allowed coffee with the sleeve IMMEDIATELY.  Never had any issues from it.

While it IS possible you might have a reflux issue, the stronger likelihood is, if you didn't have it before, the odds are you won't have it afterwards.  Your digestive systems, including the pylori valve, are intact.

BTW, the only silly questions are the ones you DON'T ask.  An informed patient is more likely to be a compliant patient and is more likely to be successful with the surgery.

Best wishes with your surgery.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views