Diabetics

Pollyanna16
on 9/26/12 11:35 pm
VSG on 12/28/12
Ree, thanks so much. Very helpful. Looking forward to being a loser!

christinahelena
on 9/26/12 3:29 pm - CA
Hi, I have type 2 and am pre op. Hou don't mention what meds you are on, but when I was pg I believe they told me 50 was getting dangerously low...think at 40 you could be in diabetic coma range ( any nurses ior mds want to chime in on that? I am NOT a medical professional, just my foggy memory) so... Please do not wait to address this issue with a doctor ASAP as it is nothing to fool around with. You could pass out while driving. Do you feel it when it is getting low? I have had 2 low episodes where I started sweating and felt very shaky. If you don't already, carry glucose tabs with you. I was only on insulin while pg, normally I am on metformin and was on byetta injections too and never got those lows. Shoot for low levels of HIGH glycemic carbs, white bread, flour products, sugar, and maybe keep in complex carbs, whole grains,fruit and legumes and of course veggies . And see your dr about adjusting your meds. If on insulin , you need insulin primarily for the carb part of your meals, if you cut the carb part out you are not raising your blood sugar so much with just protein. It is carbs and quantity that raise sugars. Stands to reason then, you will need insulin adjusted down and instructions on when to take if you eat a higher carb meal. They may take you off long acting if you are on long acting insulin, to the quicker acting and taking it only with meals...so it is complicated and you need a DOCTOR to make sure you are safe. PleAse see one asap and let us know h ow you are doing.
Kind Regards,
Christina
Pollyanna16
on 9/27/12 12:00 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Christina,  Yes, I can tell when it's coming on ,I hit about 80, that is when I eat,  Only had a couple of 50ish, on unusual situations.

When is your surgery? Please let me know how it's going.  Best of luck and prayers for your surgery.

christinahelena
on 9/27/12 6:53 am - CA

That great that  you can feel it and know to take action. Just wanting you to be careful :) . My surgery is Oct 4 th, exactly one week from today.  Prayers are very much appreciated!!  I have a great surgeon, but I would appreciate any and all prayers that God watches over me.  I have two kids *****ally need me here and healthy! Thanks, and you can be sure I will be checkin gin and soon as I am able to be welcomed to the losers bench !!

Pollyanna16
on 9/27/12 10:35 am
VSG on 12/28/12
golly, you must be soooo excited. I'm sure you will do well. Can't wait to hear how your doing. keep in touch. Many prayers coming your way

rhearob
on 9/26/12 11:29 pm - TN

Its not really an Atkins diet, and you can't depend on those Atkins foods.  They have too many calories and not enough protein.

I was a seriously out of control Diabetic before my surgery (Type II) - so I never really had low blood sugar problems even though I was on metformin and januvia, victoza, and 120 units of levemir a day.

The typical instruction after surgery is to monitor your blood sugars very closely and adjust your dosages accordingly.  My surgeon and nutritionist gave me detailed instructions before leaving the hospital.  In the hospital they checked my glucose every 4 hours.  

Less than a week after surgery I was able to stop all diabetes meds, and my glucose and A1C have all been normal since.  My last A1C was 5.0.

In the month or two after surgery I was having some low blood sugar issues.  The problem was that I wasn't eating on schedule.  I had to learn to prepare - if I was not going to be able to eat on schedule have some small item with me like a cheese stick or meal replacement bar to eat.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Pollyanna16
on 9/27/12 12:16 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Very informative, Thank you so much, really great to hear you are off meds. A1c of 5  WOW,That blows me away, I read that the sleeve is 50% at  reversing diabetes. That is the result I'm hoping for

MsBatt
on 9/27/12 11:44 am
On September 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM Pacific Time, Pollyanna16 wrote:
Very informative, Thank you so much, really great to hear you are off meds. A1c of 5  WOW,That blows me away, I read that the sleeve is 50% at  reversing diabetes. That is the result I'm hoping for
The DS has a better than 98% success rate at completely resolving diabetes.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/27/12 1:25 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am still pre op. I think that the best way to control lows (and highs actually) is to eat regularly and keep the sugar stable - no spikes and no lows so as not to solicit the pancreas too much. I was able to get my A1C down from 7 to 5.7 in 3 months with diet and exercise and 1000 mg of metformin a day. I am hoping that the surgery will also get me out from under this type II thing since I have not had it for a long time (one year) and my numbers are pretty good now already with the adjustments that I have made with diet and exercise. Hopefully the sleeve will be enough for it to go away forever. My sister in law is a diabetic and pretty much out of control and it is nasty.. she is really having lots of problems with kidneys, eyes etc. and funnily it is still not enough to get her to make some dietary changes.. very sad and expensive...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsBatt
on 9/27/12 7:16 am
As a diabetic, you really should also consider the DS (duodenal switch.) The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal re-routing that's so very effective in treating diabetes that surgeons in Wurope have been doing it on non-obese diabetics for several years now. Better than 98% of diabetics who have the DS achieve total remission of symptoms within a matter of weeks, and many are off all medications before leaving the hospital. It's not due to weight loss, it's due to the intestinal re-routing and how it changes the way the body metaoblizes food.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views