Wine?

NewtoYou
on 10/1/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 09/10/12
Thanksgiving is this coming weekend...  I had my surgery Sept 10 and have been doing great.  (other than lack of BMs).

I am wondering if it's ok to have a coupld sips of wine? or when (how long out) is it recommended to wait.      

Please note, not talking a full glass, and not with my meal.  

Welcome to your opinions. 

Cheers. 

MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

saraw79
on 10/1/12 1:02 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
 I waited 3 months to have anything...

Its up to you...If you do have some.. just have a few sips..  :)  you should be fine
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

SuzyNZ
on 10/1/12 1:15 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I had surgery a week after you and personally, I wouldn't be drinking alcohol this soon (I don't plan to drink for probably 6 months or more and I have my 40th birthday coming up and intend to have a party).

My theory is that if you are only going to have a couple of sips, why even bother? 

Why not just get some nice juice and drink it out of a wine glass, so you feel like you are being posh, but without the calories or alcohol.

Just a thought 

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 2:28 pm
I waited until goal, for me that was 6.5 months.  A few sips, will not really hurt you, but do you really need them? 
rarejem
on 10/1/12 10:20 pm - WA
VSG on 04/09/12
 My surgeon says no until one year out. That said, listen to your body. Remember it's empty calories and is it really worth it?

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

Carmelita
on 10/2/12 2:38 am - Four Corners, NM
 Oooh maybe too soon New...raw healin staple line...best ya sit this one out ...its not often ya get yer stomach cut up to save yer future right....but wine will always be there waitin for ya ...when yer all healed up!

Find out from your surgery team...different surgeons..different guidelines....on ETOH use 

I had my VSG same as you on 9/10 cool !  I was given the go ahead on 'red' wine at 2 months post op (regular diet) ..."just because I CAN... doesn't mean I DO"  I did have my first ETOH.. a red wine spritzer at a Christmas party a lil over 3 months out..see I waited!! Talk about WILLPOWER!! HA! ...had no problemo w/ stomach pain/staple line irritation whatsoever. ...

the buzz comes on super fast & strong after a "couplea" ..sips on verge of givin all the guys there..  lap dances! ..MO be damned HA!! ....but buzz leaves super fast too :-(   Can't maintain it :-( ...why bother!  ..booze buzz wasn't even worth it my first year! 

Isn't it funny how it always starts & ends with a "couplea" lmao...umm yeah "occifer", "your honor".. I only had a "couplea" beers/ glasses of wine HA!! ...oops where was I..oh yeah

For me..buzz still comes on super fast.. Im a woman - w/ less stomach surface, even less ADH post VSG,  ^^  absorption..~10+% etoh goin straight from stomach to brain (vagus nerve?) ...rest to the liver/bloodstream....Since ~1year out maybe....its much easier to maintain that buzz...no difference really than pre-op ...but takin alot le$$ to maintain. Like eatin. 

I  re-re-re confirmed this post VSG DRINKING RULE just this past summer again HA! 

YOU BOOZE ...YOU NO LOSE!  

fat burnin a priority right!  ..goes on the metabolic back burner, put on hold, delayed...ONCE AGAIN 
as ETOH metabolism.... takes the front burner .. that's why ya see no weight loss/stalls/gain boozin.... it can impede your progress so heads up

Also during the rapid fat loss phase our livers are already workin OVERTIME processin adipose fat ...etoh another burden

You'll do what YOU want to anyway New...n Im sure it won't be FATAL if ya do have a "couplea" sips of wine ..

So a  "couplea" lol ....other rules...to ponder
NEVER drink booze on an empty stomach..especially an altered one.

and NEVER EVER ...drink n drive even if its a "couplea" sips... because of what ETOH does to us w/ an altered stomach. Stay put until completely sober/have a DD always
NewtoYou
on 10/2/12 11:32 pm
VSG on 09/10/12
Thanks all for the advice and experience sharing. 

I will pass on the wine for now, I'm not a big drinker, don't even like most of it anyway but most people don'tknow I had the surgery and sitting everything out, (meals and drinking etc) has started raising awareness.... thought if I took a TINY bit of wine I could keep the questions at bay (.are you pregnant!?... ummm Heck to the NO!).  

I will just tell them I am on a doctor directed diet (explaining the small amt of food and no wine).

Thanks everyone!   :)
MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

pineview01
on 10/3/12 11:19 am - Davison, MI
Yep, on a strict Dr supervised diet. 

I had a friend on Medical Weight lost while I was doing shakes for
the band.  I saw his boxes and they were just like mine from Better MD. 
He found out who made them as their boxes were all the same but, the name.  The company did change their box to look different from the "Doctors" ones.  They are called WonderSlim.  So he and I were
doing the same strict diet, I just had happened to have had a WLS
and he didn't.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views