Postop almost 3 wks - how much protein shake?

Sheryl G.
on 10/6/12 2:55 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I'll be 3 weeks postop on Monday. I can drink a 10-11 oz protein shake in 20-30 minutes with no trouble and don't really feel full (but not hungry either). Is that too much? Should I break it out into 2 meals of 4-5 oz each?

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

kristen D.
on 10/6/12 4:32 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
my plan says no more than 1 oz every 5 minutes (thank God for the little medicine cups!!). that would be 12oz per hour. I think you might be going a little fast. check with your DR though! Good luck!

califsleevin
on 10/6/12 5:36 am - CA
It's not a real worry as your body will tell you if you are drinking too fast. I could easily put down 10-12 oz of liquid (broth, juice, etc.) in a sitting at the hospital and the doc had no worries about that. My wife on the other hand, when she went thru this a few years ago, could barely put away her nominal stomach capacity in fluids in one sitting. These are just differences that define what's normal, and the basic rules of thumb about one ounce per 5 minutes are just that - basic guidelines to get you used to the dramatic change from what you used to be able to do. If you can sip your ounce of water in 3-4 minutes rather than 5 without any distress, then you aren't hurting anything as the liquid is just going straight on thru, your pyloric valve is letting it pass as it should, and you don't have an excess of inflammation impeding its flow thru your stomach.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Jarisaunt
on 10/6/12 5:47 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
I could drink an 11 oz protein shake at 3 weeks. Your sleeve is very good at telling you if you're drinking too much. You might slow it down a little bit more-- being so early out from surgery you need to be gentle with your sleeve.

I drink one every morning (I'm six weeks out), and take about 30 minutes to drink the whole thing.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Sheryl G.
on 10/6/12 8:25 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I SO appreciate your responses. Makes me feel not so alone in this :)  I was more mindful when drinking my lunch protein drink today and did slow it down a bit. I still drank the whole thing (11 oz) but over about 50 minutes. I just keep hearing in my head about getting the protein in and the water in and so I guess I tend to guzzle sometimes.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond :)

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views