Weekend Travel

slwths
on 10/7/12 2:42 am
VSG on 08/27/12
This weekend I am suppose to take our daughter to visit her grandparents in another state.  They do not know I had the surgery nor does any of my husbands other family that lives there.  I will be 6 1/2 weeks post op when we go.  I know that they will notice the weight loss and the crazy small amount of food I am eating.  I am not sure I want to tell them about surgery...so any suggestions on what to tell them?  My mother in law is the worlds best cooker as well.  I know I can resist over eating...as I simply am just not hungry...but I know I will be asked questions and etc...

Any advice???

Thanks! 

econtiff
on 10/7/12 3:51 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
Well, are you looking to lie to them or try to avoid it ? I intentionally didn't go to a family event because I wasn't equipped to handle it yet when I was about 5 weeks out but I've realized as I've gotten further out that people don't pay as much attention to what you eat as you think they do.

I was at a luncheon recently, put the food on my plate. Ate what was an allowable amount then covered the plate with my napkin. You'll be eating pretty slowly so maybe it won't be too obvious.

slwths
on 10/7/12 4:05 am
VSG on 08/27/12
 I do not want to lie.  If someone directly asks me if I had WLS, I would not lie, I would say yes.  My plan is to tell them I am practicing extreme portion control and exercising...and getting a lot of my "substance" through protein shakes.  How does that sound???  

I am NOT ashamed I had the surgery...I made the best choice for me...and am confident in that...I think this early on, I am still processing it all myself and don't really know what to say to people...does that make sense??

econtiff
on 10/7/12 4:08 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
I also bring up the high protein, low carb answer and say it keeps you much fuller so you don't eat nearly as much?

I would imagine they may not see your behavior as triggering that question. They may say "you look great, what are you doing?" That's when I say the I stopped being sedentary, high protein, low carb and lots of water. Unless you've had WLS, you typically don't associate the behaviors. At least in my experience.

slwths
on 10/7/12 4:19 am
VSG on 08/27/12
Thanks for replying.  :)  I am sure I am more nervous about it than I should be.  The people I have chosen to tell...some family and some not...have been very supportive.  Some of my husbands family (not parents, but some people I will see), are the types that can eat anything they want and as much as they want and as often as they wont and never gain an ounce...I hope that doesn't sound to bitter.  LOL  My brother in law's wife is stunning...if she is a size 2, I'd be shocked...but eats a crazy amount of food.  My brother in law in the same way.  So, in a way, I have always been very self-conscious when I am around them.  They are the ones I am most concerned about I think...

econtiff
on 10/7/12 9:55 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
No problem. Hope it helped a bit. Just  follow your instinct and I hope you get the support you deserve.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views