Help for a friend...

Leanne1
on 10/23/12 8:39 am - Newmarket, Canada
I have a friend that is just about 4 months out. She is soooooo depressed! How can I help her?

Her start weight was 230 and she is now 198, I think it's great but she does not! She has her follow up coming up and she now tells me that she has decided to diet ( :O ). She told me that her dr gave her crap cuz she had only lost 10lbs at her last follow up instead of the 15lbs he was expecting to see. Now she's freaking out.

I know she follows what she was told and she exercises as much as she can.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance :)
geeners22
on 10/23/12 9:03 am - CA
VSG on 10/09/12
Hi..  I'm only 2 weeks out, so take this for what it's worth.  Have your friend drink lots and lots of water.  As much as she can during the day.  I have read that on these forums. 

Other than that, please tell her that everyone is different and that her doctor is just telling her the "average", doesn't mean it has to be that for her.  We all lose differently and if she's lost 32 pounds, that's FANTASTIC...  This takes time..  nothing happens overnight.

Tell her not to give up.  There is success, it just make take a little longer for some of us.

Good Luck..  :)

geeners22, San Jose, CA   HW: 252   Surgery WT: 241   GW: 135

Leanne1
on 10/23/12 9:05 am - Newmarket, Canada
I have done that ;) I tell her all the time that she's doing a fabulous job ... I will keep telling her :D

Thank you
Wildcat-NYC
on 10/23/12 9:17 am
VSG on 08/16/12
It's really hard to offer suggestions when we don't know what she's eating, amount of calories, carbs, etc. 

I would also suggest that if she is truly following all the guidelines and not losing as expected that she should get some metabolic testing done.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Leanne1
on 10/23/12 12:32 pm - Newmarket, Canada
true

I know she eats about 700-1000 cals, 60-90g protein, and less then 60g carbs per day. I ask her on a regular basis what her intake is.

She's been floating between 196-200 for a few weeks now. She's just frustrated because she sees alot of other people losing alot of weight and fast and she feels stuck.
AlbeeTenshi219
on 10/23/12 11:03 am - MD
 Well some people are just slower losers than others. If you say she is following her doctor's instructions and working out then I don't see a reason for her surgeon to be giving her grief.  Like the poster before me said, we don't know much about what she is doing (how many calories, how much protein or water she is taking in a day, how much she's exercising, etc) so it is hard to really give any specific advice.

All I can say is just tell her to keep following the plan and getting as much physical activity as she is able and the weight will come off, just maybe slower than anticipated.  I know she may be disappointed that she has not lost more but she should stop focusing on whether she is losing weight on some predetermined time line and focus on getting healthy and being proud of all she has accomplished thus far.

As far as general advice, I'd say just make sure she's drinking plenty of water (shoot for 60-64 ounces a day...its tough I know), make sure to always eat protein first at meals (I don't know what your surgeon's recommended grams of protein per day are but try to stick to that), and try not to drink and eat at the same time.  Also, try to workout at least 4-6 days a week, even if its just walking the dog around the park daily, every bit counts! I'm not a doctor or any sort of nutritional expert by any stretch of the imagination but that would be what I'd suggest, especially still early out.

I hope your friend gets out of her funk soon and wish her the best of luck! :)

HW/SW/CW/GW
324 /317 /170 /165                       

Leanne1
on 10/23/12 12:34 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I will keep telling her ;)

Thank you :)
Leanne1
on 10/23/12 12:35 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I will keep telling her ;)

Thank you :)
lucy2e
on 10/23/12 11:21 am - Laurel, MD
Is your friend on OH?  Have her join if not.  Plenty of support here and we have fast losers and slow losers.  Maybe she just needs more voices saying they understand and giving suggestions.  One thing - she was a "light weight" already so I wouldn't expect her to be a fast loser!

(((hugs))) sent to your friend! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Leanne1
on 10/23/12 12:38 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I agree with being a "light weight" ... I was also a light weight and had RNY and she watched me drop very quickly; she sometimes says little things and I try to encourage her progress.
She did check out OH but has not had alot of time to be online. I will try to get her to come on, I know that there is awesome support on here :)

Thank you :D
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views