Have a couple of questions

Sunset1374
on 10/25/12 12:09 pm - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

I read these blogs all the time and sometimes I follow along, sometimes not so much.  I'm having a problem with "foamies"???  Obviously it's something I don't want, sooooo what exactly are they and how do I avoid them?

Also, how long after surgery do you have to have the B-12 injections?  And my last question.  Has anyone tried powder multi-vitamins?  If anyone has are they a good idea to mix into my protein shake to get my vitamins in?

Thanks for all your help.

Kim

sonywife
on 10/25/12 12:15 pm - Elmsdale, Canada
VSG on 10/24/12
On October 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, Sunset1374 wrote:

I read these blogs all the time and sometimes I follow along, sometimes not so much.  I'm having a problem with "foamies"???  Obviously it's something I don't want, sooooo what exactly are they and how do I avoid them?

Also, how long after surgery do you have to have the B-12 injections?  And my last question.  Has anyone tried powder multi-vitamins?  If anyone has are they a good idea to mix into my protein shake to get my vitamins in?

Thanks for all your help.

Kim

Great questions!

I'm 1 day post op and would like to know the answers too. Thank you. :)

Sunset1374
on 10/26/12 2:06 pm - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

Congrats on your post-op!!!  Looking forward to being there too soon (November 28th).  I have so many questions for the surgeon, but curious what everyone else is doing too.  Maybe I can run some of them by my surgeon and see it he says it's ok for me too???

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/12 12:35 pm

Okay, I will do my best to answer your question.

Foamies (aka Slimies) happen to people for different reasons. Here are the top reasons:

1. eating too fast

2. Eating too much

3. eating something your new sleeve isn't ready for.

4. and my favorite...... not sure why, just happened!

When you eat you produce more saliva to help the digestive process. When you eat too fast or eat too much or eat something that is hard to digest (for me it was raw baby carrots at about 4 months out) your pyloric valve closes up tight and you end up filled to the brim of your esophageal sphincter. Well all that saliva you're producing has nowhere to go except back up your throat and into your mouth. You end up spitting over the sink for what seems like an eternity! The foamies will typically last until your stomach starts emptying out about 30 to 45 minutes later and the saliva can settle in your stomach.

Getting the foamies is nasty. It is to be avoided at all costs. Sometimes you can't avoid it, because you don't know it'll happen (like when I got them from eating to stupid baby carrots after being cleared for raw veggies). But best not to eat too fast - ever - and don't eat too much, especially early out.

I have only had them twice. Once with the carrots and the second time about two weeks ago (again, something I never would have guessed, but I had a couple bites of a carrot pancake and it sent me over the edge -  seriously like three small bites and my sleeve HATED it!)

Hope that helps you understand a little better what the foamies are.

slimpickins5280
on 10/25/12 12:48 pm - CO

What he said.

OP - I've never had B12 injections. That is something you will have to talk to your surgeon about. I've always taken a B12 chewable.

For vitamins, the best thing to do is see if you can find some sample packs of different kinds. Just make sure they have Iron - if your doctor want them to have iron. Most of the gummies, even the adult gummy multivitamins don't.

Good luck!

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Sunset1374
on 10/26/12 2:07 pm - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

Where would I get sample packs?  Who do I ask??

Sunset1374
on 10/25/12 1:00 pm - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

Kairk,

Wow,  now I know for sure I don't want those foamies!!!  Ewwwwwww  You explained them in perfect gross detail. (LOL)  I will most definitely be watching what I eat and taking my time eating them.  Thanks for your help.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/12 1:04 pm

Also, I never had B12 injections. Just was started on them sublingually right before surgery.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/25/12 5:48 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I have liquid multi vitamins with 9 mg iron per serving. Tastes like orange juice. I got mine at CVS. So far it works for me, i hate swallowing pills. I also got chewables and a tub of powder multi. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have luquid B12 too from puritan pride and sublingual from vitamin shoppe. My doc said this should be Ok but we will check labs and if its not ok then injections.

Sorry can't offer my two cents on foamies. I haven't had them and have decided I never will.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

bob-h
on 10/26/12 2:21 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
On October 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Pacific Time, Wantmylife wrote:
I have liquid multi vitamins with 9 mg iron per serving. Tastes like orange juice. I got mine at CVS. So far it works for me, i hate swallowing pills. I also got chewables and a tub of powder multi. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have luquid B12 too from puritan pride and sublingual from vitamin shoppe. My doc said this should be Ok but we will check labs and if its not ok then injections.

Sorry can't offer my two cents on foamies. I haven't had them and have decided I never will.

What is the name of the vitamin you are taking Julia.

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 83 views