Day 3 Post Op

SandyFromNJ
on 11/7/12 4:18 am

Ok, I wish I could say that everything is wonderful but it's not.   I was excited about having surgery.  I really wasn't worried.   I went in on Monday at 5:30 am and left 12 noon on Tuesday.   On Tuesday, my husband and I dropped off prescriptions for pain and nausea at the pharmacy, then went to vote, then home.  Less than 20 minutes driving time.  By the time I got home, I was exhausted.   I drank a couple of ounces of water with a bit of crystal light mixed in and went to bed.  After 4 hours, I woke up, drank a couple more ounces and walked on the treadmill (very slowly) for 20 minutes.  I had 6 ounces of chicken broth for dinner.  By the end of the day,  I was able to drink about 12 oz of water/crystal light.   I have such a weird feeling when I drink.  It's almost as if I can feel the fluid going through my stomach.   It makes me nauseous.   Not fun at all. 

Today, day three, I started the day taking omeprazole, zofran and tylenol.  So far, I have drank about 3 cups of water with a little crystal light mixed in.   I had 6 ounces of broth for lunch.  I still get that weird feeling in my stomach.  I took another 2 tylenol for in the afternoon for a headache.   Good news, TMI alert, I have began passing gas.  The little things that make me happy.

I feel blaaaa.   I don't feel wonderful.   I'm sure it could be worse but I'm not 'happy' with my sleeve yet. 

I'm looking forward to feeling 'normal' again.

SandyfromNJ

Keith L.
on 11/7/12 4:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Sounds like you are right on track and doing rather well. You should try drinking just plain water too. You want to hydrate your cells without it fighting with the aspertame and it may help with the nausea as well. If you are going to drink something flavored try Gatorade G2/ Powerade Zero or Vitamin Water 0. Crystal Light does not have any electrolytes or anything nutritionally beneficial. You will be exhausted for a week or so and then all of a sudden you will have energy. Sounds like you are drinking really well.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

LDallas
on 11/7/12 4:47 am
VSG on 10/25/12
I agree with Keith. Try Powerade Zero. Also, i dont see mention of protein??? You really need to get that in. I'm two wks post op, had a horrible time after surg...wasn't one of the "i went to the mall!!" people. It was all i could do to get up and go to the bathroom. Rest a lot, walk a little, sleep. It will get better!!!

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

Rua07
on 11/7/12 5:45 am - Canada
I was sleeved on saterday so u can say that today is almost my 6 day.
It was not fun at all the first second and even third, but I have to say it will be easier.. I had the same feeling whenever I drink water but today I could take it a bit better.
I am waiting to love or at lest like my sleeve too, I think we have to wait and see, 2 weeks is a good mark, hange in there.
lucy2e
on 11/7/12 6:05 am - Laurel, MD

Congrats on getting sleeved!  Perfectly normal not to be loving it yet - you just had major surgery!  Sip, sip, sip.  I know it feels weird, but it is really important!  Experiment with different temperatures and different liquids.  Some people do better with warm decaf tea, some with icy cold water. Just do whatever works best for you!

Good luck - each day you will feel a little better!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

KnitsByMama
on 11/7/12 6:15 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I'm 3 weeks post op and I still feel liquids travel down and through my stomach. You get used to it. 

SandyFromNJ
on 11/7/12 8:03 am

Thank you for all your responses.  It is nice to know that there is someone out there, listening. 

Keith-  Drinking plain water makes me really nausous.  I put some crystal light pure (sweetened with stevia) in my water.  I am suppose to empty an entire packet in 16 oz of water but I only used 1/4 of the packet, just for a little taste.  I have been on many diets and I would usually pick up a new habit from each one.  From one of my former diets, I learned to stop drinking diet soda, and only put milk in my coffee or tea.   I really don't like the taste of any artificial sweeteners, not even stevia (natural?)  I know the protein powders that I have collected have some sort of sweetener in them.  I figured, I would try them out and weed out the ones that I find palatable.   I have made a list of the drinks that you suggest, Gatorade G2, Powerade Zero,  and Vitamin Water 0. Do these have artificial sweeteners in them?

LDallas-  My protein for today consists of 6 oz of Chicken broth from condensed soup and another 6 oz of Chicken Noodle flavor Proti diet high protein soup that has 15 grams of protein.   I know it is not enough but it is a start. 

Rua- Day 5, are you on the full liquid diet?   How are you tolerating it?

Kinits by Mama- I could not imagine getting accustomed to this weird feeling in my stomach everytime I drink something.  I will just have to take your word for it and see if that happens for me. 

This has been quite a ride, first I had to deal with the hurricane, my surgery was almost postponed, we lucked out and were only without power for 9 hours.  We have neighbors that are on a different circuit and still do not have their power back.   Then I came home and our area had a 'boil water advisary from the water company, lucky for me that was lifted today and I was able to take a shower.  Now we are dealing with an annoying snow storm.   At least I am in my nice warm home.  I just hope the power does not go out.  

Thank you for all your input.

SandyfromNJ

cguillen
on 11/7/12 9:02 am
VSG on 11/05/12 with

I too got sleeved on Monday and the nurse said no powerade/gatorade zero

emelar
on 11/7/12 9:07 am - TX

The liquids going down is normal.  I remember posting when I was just out that I could feel the liquids cascading down my insides, gurgling all the way.  It gets better.  Much, much better.

Protein - try the Unjury chicken soup.  You have to get it online, but it packs a good amount of protein.  Almost all of the protein powders contain some sort of artificial sweetener.

It really sounds like you're perfectly normal post-op.  This is the grin-and-bear-it stage.  And not always a lot of grinning going on.

SuzyNZ
on 11/7/12 1:38 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I can still feel water going clunk into my tummy at 7 weeks. So at the moment, Im drinking it warm and it makes a HUGE difference!! I used to hate it when the water bottle I keep in my car got warm during the day. Now, it's perfect!!..lol

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views