VETERAN'S if you knew then what you know now...

califsleevin
on 11/8/12 6:45 am - CA

How often to weigh is mostly a matter of personality. If you are one to agonize over every little blip on the scale, then only weigh once a month, or weekly at most. If you are one to accept that your weight will move around some short term as various body cycles and functions occur (TOM, hydration changes, etc.) then daily or weekly is no big deal - do what makes you most comfortable. I weighed daily, mostly because I was monitoring body composition which works best when looking at trends and moving averages rather than snapshots, but I only recorded weight weekly.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

califsleevin
on 11/8/12 4:39 am - CA

As Krazydoglady indicated, since the stall is primarily a function of glycogen depletion as a result of the caloric deficits that we are running during weight loss, it typically happens in concert with any major weight loss effort, not just WLS. So, if you lose weight from pre-op efforts, you are less likely to have the third week stall after surgery since you have already been through that cycle.

One might be able to avoid the stall by keeping one's carb levels up (not the most popular notion on this board!) to smooth out the glycogen depletion and transition to fat burning mode - I didn't stick to anything approaching the typical ultra low carb rules and never had any stalls, third week or otherwise, though I certainly went into the expected slow down from the transition from fast burning glycogen to slower burning fat. Whether this approach yields slower weight loss is debatable (quicker weight loss is the hypothesis behind the low carb diets,) but it is a viable approach that isn't in fashion at the moment.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

jubjub
on 11/8/12 6:02 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Well, here's what I did.  I started my pre-op diet two months before surgery, dropping my calories down to 1200. I didn't do much for exercise, since at that calorie level, pre-surgery, I'd have gone mad with hunger.  

I lost 35 pounds and had two short stalls in two months.  Basically I got the 3 week stall over with before surgery - without realizing it at the time.  I also lost 35 lbs pre-op, and surgery went very well for me.

Post-surgery, I was stall-free until now - where I'm very near my goal weight and completely expected weight loss to slow down.  

I weigh myself every morning.  

Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

guesswho11
on 11/8/12 9:54 am

I had a stall at 3 weeks and it lasted for 3 weeks.  It was extremely frustrating because I wanted to see that scale move every day.  It WILL move once the stall is over BIG TIME!!  Just know that it will likely happen, but it won't last.  I'm now 120 lbs down, and that 3 months is barely a blip in my memory!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views